• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please... No judging

Thankyou. I always rescue when I can, I hate the thought of animals not getting a loving home because of breeders. Trust me, I wouldn't have let her get pregnant lol!

Unfortunately, I do have to give the babies up but the good thing is I know a couple of lovely people at work that have always had rabbits, soI know they will be looked after and loved. :) x

If only more people felt like you do!! X

I think you have to upload them to photobucket or similar

Ah ok thanks.
Also does anyone know when i can start handling the babies. One has started to open its eyes. Ive been putting Bells out in the run for a few mins a day just to get her out the hutch and get some exercise. Have foynd a new hutch for her though just waiting to pick it up. X

Regarding the right time to start handling babies, people's views vary. Some handle right from birth and others a bit later on. I fall into the no handling category, if you happen to drop a baby it can be damaged internally, and as they can be quite wriggly I choose not to handle them. Whichever category you must be very gentle as you probably know.

Regarding the right time to start handling babies, people's views vary. Some handle right from birth and others a bit later on. I fall into the no handling category, if you happen to drop a baby it can be damaged internally, and as they can be quite wriggly I choose not to handle them. Whichever category you must be very gentle as you probably know.

Oh yes of course. Ive not handled them yet. Maybe when theyve all opened their eyes. One has started to. And of course i would handled them when if they did try and jump they would be in their bed or something just so they wouldnt fall x if that makes sense x

You really want to be handling them daily, especially once their eyes are open so that they are used to being around people. Once their eyes are open, if they aren't handled regularly they can become skittish of people. It's also good for a daily health check. Though you do have to be very careful as they can popcorn right out of your hand, so it's always best to do this close to a floor with no chance they can fall more than a few inches with some sort of cushioning underneath. You can do this while they are in their hutch, or I would bring mine inside in a deep enough box with padding at the bottom for them to cuddle together on, and then I would put them on a towel on the floor and check them over. And when they were old enough, to let them out in a pen to run and play. This helped socialize them to people and household sounds and smells, and was also fun enrichment for them... and me :)

Welcome to the forum. With regards to sexing... I think it's around 3 months, we bought ours at 10weeks and 1 day old, thought we had 2 girls and at 3/3.5 months old, the boy's plums dropped.

You really want to be handling them daily, especially once their eyes are open so that they are used to being around people. Once their eyes are open, if they aren't handled regularly they can become skittish of people. It's also good for a daily health check. Though you do have to be very careful as they can popcorn right out of your hand, so it's always best to do this close to a floor with no chance they can fall more than a few inches with some sort of cushioning underneath. You can do this while they are in their hutch, or I would bring mine inside in a deep enough box with padding at the bottom for them to cuddle together on, and then I would put them on a towel on the floor and check them over. And when they were old enough, to let them out in a pen to run and play. This helped socialize them to people and household sounds and smells, and was also fun enrichment for them... and me :)
Thank you. Are they ok to be away from mum to handle ans then put back. Mum has been out in run for about 5-10 mins a day as its been nice. And she doesnt want to go back to the hutch bless her.

Ive just checked on babies and 2have started to open their eyes just awaiting the third one.
And in doing so the little black ine decided to try and go for a stroll towards the open door. Which I was standing in its way so it wouldnt have got past me but picked him/her up and put it back to bed.
They are going to be fiesty if their attitude now is anything to go by lol!

I think i may have convinced my mum to have 1or 2 lol! She recently lost her old boy, he had to be put to sleep. Poor sausage :-( x

Hi everyone. Just thought you would like an update on Bella and her babies.

Its now been 8 weeks since babies were born. 2 have gone to their new homes. The last one (my favourite) is now going to be staying with us. :) the nurse and vet are very happy with their health and handling. We had 1 girl and 2 boys.

The plan now is to get them all neutered and hopefully bond mum, dad and baby when baby (Pudding) is old enough to be castrated. My dad is in the process of building me a new hutch.

I am glad you are keeping one baby and that the other 2 have found a good home. Thanks for the update. :thumb:

Youre welcome, the homes we found one is my work colleague who has always had rabbits, the other is my mums work colleague, who has loads of animals inc rabbits, dogs, horses, and she is a lecturer in animal care at a college. Im just glad we could find homes with people we knew :) they are going to be spoilt lol.

Back