• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please My Poppy's ill pets at home won't continue her vet costs.

Poppy Drew

New Kit
Hello, I bought my poppy in June 2015 from pets at home, They had sold me a sick rabbit with ongoing health issues, she just kept going into gi statist, phoned the store and spoke to the manageress she had agreed for Poppy's vet bills to be paid as well as free food for her, I said I would take responsibility for the food if she could pay vet bills, poppy then had a lump on her ovaries so they were removed and lump gone, pets at home continued to pay for her bills up to Nov 2019, I phoned the manageress but she had left the company and pets at home didn't know anything about the agreement, anyway I've been fighting with them since November, sent them 2 bills they are refusing to pay saying it was a agreement know one knew about. Now my Poppy is dying of possible cancer losing weight and they don't care. I'm syringe feeding her and giving her gut stimulating meds but the lump is in her intestines and one vet said that it could be a dangerous op as there intestines are very delicate. I'm so heartbroken.
How can pets, at home be so heartless.

I'm very sorry to read that your rabbit is so poorly [emoji17]

I don't suppose you have the agreement you made with the manager in writing? A letter or an email? Alternatively, when you had to take your rabbit to the vet for treatment, were the invoices sent directly to Pets at Home? Or did you pay them upfront yourself and get reimbursed later? I was just thinking it might help your case if you can show there was a pattern that proves they have been covering the vet bills over the past four years. That would strongly indicate there was a mutual agreement, otherwise why would they be settling those bills for you?

Having said all that, sadly I wouldn't be surprised if they try to wriggle themselves out of any further payments by saying the original manager had gone against company policy and/or went beyond her remit in making that arrangement with you in the first place.

I hope you can get some resolution to this. It's upsetting enough when you have a sick pet without having to deal with additional stress.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Hello, I bought my poppy in June 2015 from pets at home, They had sold me a sick rabbit with ongoing health issues, she just kept going into gi statist, phoned the store and spoke to the manageress she had agreed for Poppy's vet bills to be paid as well as free food for her, I said I would take responsibility for the food if she could pay vet bills, poppy then had a lump on her ovaries so they were removed and lump gone, pets at home continued to pay for her bills up to Nov 2019, I phoned the manageress but she had left the company and pets at home didn't know anything about the agreement, anyway I've been fighting with them since November, sent them 2 bills they are refusing to pay saying it was a agreement know one knew about. Now my Poppy is dying of possible cancer losing weight and they don't care. I'm syringe feeding her and giving her gut stimulating meds but the lump is in her intestines and one vet said that it could be a dangerous op as there intestines are very delicate. I'm so heartbroken.
How can pets, at home be so heartless.

Unfortunately unless you have an agreement in writing the store is now under no obligation to pay for the Vet fees. I am assuming you bought Poppy from the main store and not the Adoption Section ?

Some PAH Stores microchip their 'stock'. Is Poppy microchipped and if so did you change the details to show you as the new owner or did the store not inform you about this at point of sale ? If she is chipped and the details are still those of PAH that might give you some leverage to get them to continue the previous agreement, but in all honesty I doubt it.

You may be able to obtain help with some costs of Vet fees from the RSPCA, the Blue Cross or the PDSA

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/care/financial

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/my-pet-eligible-veterinary-treatment

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility

I am very sorry to hear that Poppy is so sick and I really hope you manage to access more Veterinary help for her x

Thank you for your reply, I can prove on all vet bills they have been paying, but sent me a horrible email earlier trying to say perhaps I wasn't feeding her correctly and just saying they can't find any records of agreement. Decided to take them to court but that doesn't help Poppy's situation. She has a bladder stone the size of a walnut, the vets said that it's a dangerous op and I should put her down, I can't do that, I must fight with her.

Thank you for your reply, I can prove on all vet bills they have been paying, but sent me a horrible email earlier trying to say perhaps I wasn't feeding her correctly and just saying they can't find any records of agreement. Decided to take them to court but that doesn't help Poppy's situation. She has a bladder stone the size of a walnut, the vets said that it's a dangerous op and I should put her down, I can't do that, I must fight with her.

I would seek a second opinion from a more Rabbit Savvy Vet. You may find one on here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Back