• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please - Henry bun - U/D 01/08/18

Sorry MM I didn't see your post before replying. Bumblefoot does tend to refer to an infection in the joint though, which Henry doesn't have. It's common in birds, but I've never heard of it in rabbits. Perhaps it's more common in wire cages?

Thanks PM :wave:

There was a talk on rabbit feet including pododermatitis at the RWAF conference. They said that the research shows that house rabbits are far more susceptible because surfaces like carpet are much more abrasive (the same is true of vetbed, which while great for many sick rabbits is not good for those with sore hocks). From the research, the only surface with a significant reduction in sore hocks incidence was bedding on thick hay. So after the heatwave, moving them outdoors onto a surface spread with lots of hay is probably going to be helpful. I have a feeling FHB used to fashion something a bit like a giant corn plaster out of a piece of pipe insulation for some rabbits with sore hocks, to take the pressure off the worst part!

There was a talk on rabbit feet including pododermatitis at the RWAF conference. They said that the research shows that house rabbits are far more susceptible because surfaces like carpet are much more abrasive (the same is true of vetbed, which while great for many sick rabbits is not good for those with sore hocks). From the research, the only surface with a significant reduction in sore hocks incidence was bedding on thick hay. So after the heatwave, moving them outdoors onto a surface spread with lots of hay is probably going to be helpful. I have a feeling FHB used to fashion something a bit like a giant corn plaster out of a piece of pipe insulation for some rabbits with sore hocks, to take the pressure off the worst part!

This backs up what I have found to be the case over the 20+ years of keeping Rexes (who are very prone to sore hocks).

Personally I find that the only suitable substrate for Rabbits with hock issues is thick soft hay. Nothing else has worked for my Rexes anyway.

I think that this is the type of anti-pressure dressing Frances was referring to

C4McA5a.jpg

Back