• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on Crab apple tree ...branches and leaves.

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
I've just cut back our Crab apple tree and I'm sure it is but just need to know if I am correct but is the
branches and leaves safe for bunnies to eat?

Thank You xx :wave:

I've just been searching for this answer too! I have Twigs book and that says fine for crab apple twigs & leaves. Then I googled (why oh why) and some ppl on other forums - which seemed US based - say that branches are toxic unless completely dried!! Now I'm confused and worried about feeding these branches :(

My two had a huge pile of crab apple branches and leaves yesterday ........... and are still bouncing around today :D.

I feed crab apple branches and leaves regularly to our bunnies. They are not as keen on the fruit, but the guinea pigs tend to get that.

I've just been searching for this answer too! I have Twigs book and that says fine for crab apple twigs & leaves. Then I googled (why oh why) and some ppl on other forums - which seemed US based - say that branches are toxic unless completely dried!! Now I'm confused and worried about feeding these branches :(

There's discrepancies all over the place!

Personally I have always fed apples, leaves, twigs etc .. crab or normal :D

There really is a lot of conflicting information but RU'S forage queen says yes in her book. I'm just such a worrier that any doubting views make me stop & question every detail plus I've had a stasis bun which makes u extra cautious.

It's annoying as Ive just done a summer prune and having lovely long leafy branches sitting in a pile waiting for me to decide, now it's rained on them and that apparently is bad too????

Glad this question has been raised as the new house we have moved to has 2 crab apple trees that need a really good prune once they have finished fruiting. Just hope my bun likes their twigs!

They don't like it :roll: I can only assume it went like this -
Dolly: oh look Daisy mums got sum fresh mom's for us!
Daisy: goody what shop did she get it from.
Dolly: don't think it's from a shop.
Daisy: hmm why not?
Dolly: ooh you've got a point, hmm
I don't think we should eat it.
Daisy: I agree let's sit as far away as we can & stare at it til she takes it away.
Dolly: yes I agree

Me so why won't you eat the delicious fresh forage, that I know is 100% organic & is in a constant supply?

Bunnies: because it's free & we's got expensive taste buds!

Back