• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed

lottie_s

Warren Scout
Hi

I have had Poppy for 6 months now and I decided to get her a male friend to play with. She was spayed nearly 2 weeks ago. Anyway George, a 10 week old French Lop arrived 2 days ago. They were put onto neutral teritory and they have been ok. Everytime he grooms her she runs off. I tried them in the cage together on the first night and Im pretty sure they had a scrap sfter a couple of hours. Then yesterday they were on neutral territory again for at least 6 hours and they were ok again. So I tried them in the cage together and he kept pestering her, you know humping her and stuff. He has not been neutered yet. So I decided that it would be best to keep them seperate for one more night.

So my question is how do I go about having them live together in the cage. Will he calm down or is it bad to put an unneutered male in with a spayed female?

Hope you can help
Thankyou
Lottie

I think both bunnies would be much happier if you got George neutered. :D:D

It's perfectly normal for neutered buns to hump during bonding but it soon subsides.

However, George's hormones will mean that his humping behaviour just carries on - he just wants to reproduce and of course he doesn't know that Poppy is spayed. :lol: But he could end up annoying Poppy to the point where she decides to retaliate. :(

He should be ready to be neutered in a few weeks. I would stongly advise you to get him neutered first, leave him a few weeks for hormones to subside and then try them again on neutral territory.

I totally agree with the post above. Also did you remember to scrub the cage with white vinegar to neutralise it so Poppy doesn't associate it as hers?

I didnt use white viniger but I did use a really smelly animal friendly disinfectant.
Can they get along so I dont have to get him neutered? How should I go about binding them?
This is day 3 and in total they have been together on neutral territory for at least 12 hours and they get on great. Although Popy does run away everytime George starts grooming her

You've got to have him neutered first otherwise you are risking fights if his behaviour starts to annoy her and perhaps never being able to bond.

They have both hopped into the cage and settled down in there. I have shut the door and they have been fine for the last hour.

So have any of you got a spayed female and an unneutered male living together is it ever possible? He hasnt tryed to hump her today.

Back