• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed, can bunnies come in at night

Batfink1

Young Bun
HI guys,

I need some advice. I have recently invested in a very large dog kennel and run for my two bunnies. Which is working out great for us. The promblem i have is FOXES .... there is absolutley no way the foxes can get to the rabbits as at night they are locked into the kennel area. The problems is that i think it scarring the life out one of the bunnies as they must know the foxes are outside.

I did think about making them rabbit house bunnies but my husband hit the roof, we have just forked out about £400 on their accomodation outside and also it just isn't practical with a two year old in the house ... he is right of course.

My solution was to let the bunnies sleep in our utility room at night only ... there is no heating in there and then put them out in the kennel/run during the day. In the winter they could actually sleep in the conservatory as it is very cold out there so there wouldn't be much change in temperature from moving them indoors to outdoors. The bunnies do seem very relaxed when I bring them indoors ... infact they love it so the change in surroundings wouldn't upset them. They are rescue buns so I kind of wonder if they were house bunnies before.

What are your thoughts in this?

Thanks guys.

No experience of foxes but there are a few member that have so hopefully bunp this up for someone else to see and advise.

*bump* :wave:

Rabbits can die of fright and many people bring them inside on nights such as firework night, Diwali, etc.
So if you have foxes that are frightening them and you have a safe place..check wires, houseplants, ect...to bring them in at night ..I'd say bring them in
Will they have room to exercise during the night..and also remember foxes are taking more and more pets during the day so it may be a good idea to think of some general ways of deterring the foxes

Ask any of your neighbours if they feed them and if they do ask them to stop..make sure when you are at home you go in garden and make a bit of noise regularly..just because you can't see the fox doesn't mean they are not hiding somewhere ..make sure the foxes cannot dig into the rabbits runs

Thanks very much guys.

You have basically confirmed what I thought.

I think by day they are fine, there is always so much activity in the garden especially my two year old!!!

They will have a good bunny proof space indoors at night ... away from radiators so i think that is the best plan.

Just been to pet at home to buy lots of wooden bits and bobs for them to get their teeth into so that they don't choose my skirting boards.

.... thanks for 'bumping' me whatever that means ... i am still new here :p

Actually looking forwards to sharing my home with the bunsters tonight.;)

That sounds fine. A bunny proof space would be ideal, but if they start destroying things you could maybe get a cheap pen for them to be in at night inside.

I bring Teasel and Arnie in at night. I have a family of foxes living in my garden.

I have two rabbit cages in my kitchen which I use when it is dark in which they have their pellets. Doodee my deranged rescue house rabbit has proved herself to be unsafe around other rabbits and she can be a bit of a so-and-so so for me the cages keep all my buns safe as she cannot get thorugh if she does clear the five foot stable door I use to seperate my kitchen from her part of the house. I have a fold up indoor puppy run I can use to give them more space if the weather is awful.
They are outdoors in the hutch and large run for 14-18 hours per day depending on weather and light.

They are very happy about this and the family of foxes have not got past my kitchen door although I have seen them sat outside it looking hopeful after I have bought my buns in.

If your concerned about your buns bringing them in overnight whilst you sleep in a cool room is fine.

my rabbit comes in home at night

I am also worried about foxes aswell as my garden backs onto fields, since i rescued my rabbit from a local sanctuary about a year ago she has been coming inside at night time and out in the day into either her large summer lodge lol or her run depending on the weather, which seems to suit her. She has a hutch in the garage, the garage is joint on to the house :) so she is very safe at night. And it also give me peace of mind :) hope this helps :) xx

Thanks very much guys.

You have basically confirmed what I thought.

I think by day they are fine, there is always so much activity in the garden especially my two year old!!!

They will have a good bunny proof space indoors at night ... away from radiators so i think that is the best plan.

Just been to pet at home to buy lots of wooden bits and bobs for them to get their teeth into so that they don't choose my skirting boards.

.... thanks for 'bumping' me whatever that means ... i am still new here :p

Actually looking forwards to sharing my home with the bunsters tonight.;)

When you post a thread if it doesn't get a response it gradually works it's way further down the subject list (due to lots of new threads), as yours was exactly this by me sort of responding it makes it's way back to the top again, hence more people seeing your thread :D so people 'bump' thrads up for others to respond.
Hope you understood all that!! :roll::lol:

Back