• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

What penicillin do then ? Prevent the creation of abscess ?
What will help the cooled boiled water?

Cooled boiled water to clean away the pus you can see

Penicillin is an antibiotic and should eventually stop the production of more pus and infection.

I think you should speak with your vet about things, as she will know what to suggest :)

Cooled boiled water to clean away the pus you can see

Penicillin is an antibiotic and should eventually stop the production of more pus and infection.

I think you should speak with your vet about things, as she will know what to suggest :)

Thinking of you, and hope you're managing your difficult situation x

Second injection today! It was easier this time!
But today i noticed some poop soft. Not diarrhea, but soft and stuck on fur and have to clean it many times today.
May just be cecals but softer ? Or the apple juice on hay may caused this ?

But today i noticed some poop soft. Not diarrhea, but soft and stuck on fur and have to clean it many times today.

Well done with giving the injection. The soft poo may be due to a combination of things. As I mentioned previously, Apple Juice contains a lot of sugar and too much could cause 'soft poo' problems. Especially if the Rabbit is on antibiotics. Also, if a Bunny is very immobile they may get a mucky bum.

No the apple juice on the hay will not have made any difference to the poops. People often give meds several times a day with loads of apple juice or pureed apple and it doesn't affect poo. If it makes her eat hay then it's all to the good!

It is probably due to the new antibiotic :)

Has she been eating a bit more - perhaps more hay?

Im very dissapointed and sad :(
The other front leg has now pus too. I tried to squeeze some out but still seems to have more inside. In just 5 days the 2 front legs has again pus.
I was hoping to this leg at least to be ok. Vet said that has removed the whole capsule and pus. Why more created ? :(
Im starting to think that Thumper may not get through this. :(

The other front leg has now pus too. I tried to squeeze some out but still seems to have more inside. In just 5 days the 2 front legs has again pus.
I was hoping to this leg at least to be ok. Vet said that has removed the whole capsule and pus. Why more created ? :(

I'm really sorry :(

You and Thumper are trying so very hard, and it doesn't seem fair.

Poor little one xx

Something have to be wrong . Don't know maybe with the antibiotics ?
The back leg still seems to be fine , but who knows what gonna happen the next days :(

Something have to be wrong . Don't know maybe with the antibiotics ?
The back leg still seems to be fine , but who knows what gonna happen the next days :(

I'm so sorry :(

The antibiotics haven't had time to make any significant difference just yet. They would need to be given for several weeks before you would see improvement.

Yeah but if penicillin cant absorb the abscess. I have to go to vet really soon so she can open the wounds again and remove the pus.
Worrying about Thumper that will need again sedation

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Yeah but if penicillin cant absorb the abscess. I have to go to vet really soon so she can open the wounds again and remove the pus.
Worrying about Thumper that will need again sedation

Yes, it's best if the pus comes out rather than hangs around a wound.

Sadly it does sound as though the infection is very well established :cry: Personally I would try to get Thumper back to a Vet today. If more abscesses are appearing despite the Penicillin treatment this could point to the risk of the development Sepsis. In some cases bacteria causing infection can be resistant to Penicillin. This too may be a feature of what is going on.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/si...CD_HAI-MRSA-Information-for-Veterinarians.pdf

https://www.bsava.com/Resources/Veterinary-resources/Scientific-information/MRSA

http://www.msdvetmanual.com/en-gb/special-pet-topics/infections/infections-caused-by-bacteria

I am sorry to sound so negative and I realise you are doing all you can for Thumper. But I really do think that it is important to consult the Vet again today.

How is Thumper's pain control now ?

Thumper seems fine to me. No pain except that she cant stand on the one front feet.
Vet told me to go when i finish with the therapy of 5 injections
What if , penicillinis do nothing ? What else we can do ?
Vet previous time was positive that 1-2 more times of opening the legs and Thumper will be fine

Thumper seems fine to me. No pain except that she cant stand on the one front feet.
Vet previous time was positive that 1-2 more times of opening the legs and Thumper will be fine

You can't think right now that the penicillin will do nothing. Believe me, it takes time to work, in some cases 2/3 weeks. Within that time you will likely see more pus produced. I have nursed dozens of rabbits with abscesses - the pus doesn't magically clear up after the one or two injections.

I think the difficulty will be persuading your vet to continue them for long enough.

How frequently has the Vet prescribed the Penicillin injections ?

You can always take a swab of the infected pus, send it away to the lab for culture and sensitivity, and find the exact antibiotic to combat the problem

0.5ml every 3 days. So far i have done 2 injections from 5 she told me. Then ill go back to vet.
Prob is i have 1 more injection ready. I have to go back to vet to take the 2 more or go to pharmacy?
Im worrying that vet will tell me not to do more than 5 injections.
Thumper today is moving much better than previous days. At least thats good.

Back