• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A week in the diet of:

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

I'm never sure if I'm overfeeding or not, so I thought it might be good to do a thread where people can list what they fed their buns that day, and how much! Also wondering how much of each veg people feed compare to others - do other people do what I do and feed more cabbage/spring greens than they do of carrot, parsnip, swede etc?

What I thought is if we reply to the thread, then just edit it with more info for days, rather than re-posting per day or every few days (when you can update!). Should keep the thread a manageable length (here's hoping people join in :D)

People are welcome to edit theirs every day, or just post at the end of a week. Or if you know what you fed yours for the last week, or an 'average' week, feel free to post that too!

Pics are welcome too, but if you take a pic of it in the bowl remember to say how big the bowl is, so we know!

Also, would be good to know if your buns have access to grass to eat, and whether they are good hay eaters or slightly poorer :)

E.g.

2 french lop mix buns - fed half a small green savoy cabbage, cut up into strips. 2 medium carrots, a parsnip, few sprigs of parsley. one bun eats good amount of hay, the other doesn't seem to eat much. let out onto grass for 5ish hours today, saw them grazing for approx half the time (the rest was spent running away from planes/cars/miscellaneous weird sounds/butterflies/wind/each other :roll:)

My buns: Nenä & Täplä.

Nenä - french lop cross, fatter than Täplä :roll: decent hay eater, big nosey lump of a bunny :oops:. favourite food - apple, parsnip & the occasional bit of banana
Täplä - french lop cross, skinner than Nenä. bad hay eater, more intelligent than Nenä. favourite food - pellets, parsnip, swede, toast crusts :roll:

My week:

Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

Last edited:
This is for my two buns, Beano a medium/large rex X lionhead and Gordon a small/meduim dwarf X lionhead starting today of what they've had so far:

Sunday: A small regular handful of Excel pellets, unlimited Ings hay which they both eat well, an apple twig each, grass from their run (however much they choose to eat which isn't a lot by the looks of it), a handful of dandelion and plantain mix each, a dandelion leaf and flower each, a fenugreek crunchie each, a handful of corriander, three leaves of spring greens, a celery stalk chopped finely and more topped up fresh hay.

Last edited:
Each day Sophie & Rosie get between them.....

Morning:
1 eggcup full of SS pellets.
1 handful of fresh grass/dandelions when they are in plentiful supply. When they aren't they get a handful of dried dandelions & plantain mixed together.

Evening:
1 handful of fresh flat leaf parsley/dill/coriander/mint/basil (mix of 2-3 different herbs)

Unlimited hay :)

Sunday: 3 dandelions each, some chamomile, oregano, lavender, rosemary, sage, thyme, mint and cleavers. Half an eggcup of meusli in an attempt to wean them off. Unlimited hay and water :wave:

I'll do it just generally as Frankie gets over fed to keep his weight up.

Today brekkie was a spring green leaf, a bit of parsley and cauli leaf.

Hay trays replaced.

Tea a small scattering of pellets.

Grass to graze on for an hour.

More hay.

Fenugreek crunchie.

Woah! Now I think I may be over feeding! We weighed when we got them from the rescue - Honey 6lb 8oz, Holly 4lb 5oz

When we moved them outdoors 2 weeks later we weighed them again and I was worried as they had lost weight - Honey 5lb 15.9oz, Holly 4lb 2.4oz

So I inroduced mine to cabbage, broccoli and cauli, they had already had carrot and sprouts, and were getting grass, brambles, dandelion leaves and flowers daily.

Currently each day they get: shared handful of excel in morning and again in evening, hay hay hay, a breakfast bowl of grass between them morning and evening, and an assortment of broccoli, sprouts, carrot (small amount) curly kale, bramble leaves, dandelions galore, cabbage, celery, basil and parsley depending on what's in the fridge. I would guess a quantity of about one handful of veg for each bun morning and evening. I have small hands :D

I find it hard to know the correct weight for my rabbits when they are no particular breed type. It's been 3 weeks outdoors and they have their myxo booster next week so I wasn't going to weigh them until then, since they will be in their carriers again then (can't pick them up the skittish things).

2 nethies (1.3 and 1.5kg)

Today they will get : 20g pellets, hay, grass, 1 magnolia petal each, maybe a dead nettle each, think thats it :wave:

Yesterday they had...

One scoop (1/4 cup) of pellets spread through the day per pair
Two hay refills of their litter trays per pair
N&S: a handful of greens: dandelion stalks and flowers, plantain, sage, cleavers
M&M: half a colander of greens: dandelion stalks and flowers, plantain, sage, cleavers

M&M get more greens than N&S cos Nutmeg doesn't eat a lot of greens.

Back