• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A third Bunny

Hi, I had two male bonded buns. They got on great. I was really pleased as when we got them they were not bonded, but just took to each other.

Then I noticed a rabbit on ebay. I obviously couldn't let it go to someone unscrupulous, so I won hutch and bun. The man was great and even delived the bun to me from Birmingham. His daughter had lost interest and when he dropped him off, he was delighted he was coming to a home which obviously loved animals.

Well, we decided to call him Hank. Then we took Hank to the vets for a check up and vaccs. Hank was a GIRL. Both my male buns had been paying a lot of attention to her, kept going to her hutch and rubbing themselves against it. I had Hank neutered (obviously) and tried her with my boys - one at a time. They both loved her BUT Nibbles was very very jealous. If they were all in the garden, Nibbles used to chase Donut, so I was back to letting them both have individual time with her. Then one day before school I found Hank collapsed in the garden. I took her to the vets where she was PTS (brain parasite).

Eventually Nibbles and Donut got close again. Then I found Nibbles collapsed in the garden. We took him to the vets where, despite their best efforts, he too died.

Donut was alone (with lots of cuddles).

I asked the vets for their advice and they told me to leave the garden to 'over winter' to kill off any germs. Donut also lived on Panacur for a while just in case he had the parasite.

We got Bailey and again tried to bond. It worked for a little while, but then Bailey bit Donut quite badly and he ended up having abdominal surgery to remove dead skin. After a fews months of them lying side by side (when one in the run and one out), we tried again. Again it worked - for a bit. Then Bailey bit Donuts ear. Donut is now a one and a half eared lop. Obviously these two boys, despite them wanting to be close, cannot live together.

I know I have rambled on and on, but my orig two got on great, until I introduced a third.

It may be because Hank was a girl rather than a boy. I don't know.

I also think a lot is down to temperament. Why did Nibbles and Donut get on so well when Bailey and Donut don't?

I have thought about trying to get Donut and Bailey mates and having two lots of bonded buns, but I run the risk of them not getting on and then what do I do?

I love the idea of bunny speed dating - brilliant. But living together is different to meeting each other and initially getting on. Bailey and Donut get on for very short periods of time.

A difficult decision. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Back