• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friend for Dillon - sad update post 811.

We have been home since 2.30pm and they are living side by side, with an 8 inch gap between. They have studiously ignored one another! Dillon is a bit fed up as he can not lozack on the hearth as he usually does as her run is butted up to the heath.

She has eaten, drunk and left plenty of poops but has not wee'd (that I have seen) nor is she using her tray - it is bed time now so we will see what tomorrow brings.

I dont suppose without anaesthetic there is a way to un-ring her leg, and might it cause injury or soreness please?

I've no experience with these, but I would think that if it's loose enough the vet might be able to snip it off without anaesthetic.

I hope she settles well.

We have been home since 2.30pm and they are living side by side, with an 8 inch gap between. They have studiously ignored one another! Dillon is a bit fed up as he can not lozack on the hearth as he usually does as her run is butted up to the heath.

She has eaten, drunk and left plenty of poops but has not wee'd (that I have seen) nor is she using her tray - it is bed time now so we will see what tomorrow brings.

I dont suppose without anaesthetic there is a way to un-ring her leg, and might it cause injury or soreness please?

Difficult one.

Is she spayed? I got my vet to take a ring off a doe of mine during the operation.
Those rings are often fairly snug and boy are they tough to cut!

Difficult one.

Is she spayed? I got my vet to take a ring off a doe of mine during the operation.
Those rings are often fairly snug and boy are they tough to cut!

Yes MM they were all spayed and rings removed but an oversight means she still has hers, when you say tight, will it catch on anything outside or rub pn her skin?

It sounds good so far :love: I think my vet took a ring off an ex breeder rabbit I saved without sedation but it’s so long ago I can’t remember!

How they act towards each other with barrier between doesn’t necessarily reflect how they will be when they meet.

She needs time to settle into her new surroundings and worry about the ring at a later date, unless it is digging into her skin. I expect she has seen lots of rabbits so probably thinks Dillon is just another.

It sounds good so far :love: I think my vet took a ring off an ex breeder rabbit I saved without sedation but it’s so long ago I can’t remember!

How they act towards each other with barrier between doesn’t necessarily reflect how they will be when they meet.

This morning Dillon has gone past her three times, I have made a mistake butting her run up to "his" hearth ( I think he likes it as it is stone rather than laminate), the first two times he went past she leapt at him with her feet in the air and he shot past quick sharp. The third time he leapt at her. There is a barrier between them.
He is now throwing things round on the hearth, ie coal and irons and she is in her box again.

Still no wee - unless it is in the cat bed, or blankets provided.
No evidence of being in the litter box or eating hay provided.
Sprouts and half a carrot that were given yesterday have gone but not the celery. All pellets given eaten, and happy she has drunk enough.
The hearth was Cuthys favourite spot too and they would sit on it together.
I have not tried to interact with her yet, she can take as much time as she needs.

Wish there was some way to increase the space between them but with two large runs, two sofa's etc my lounge is quite full

Yes MM they were all spayed and rings removed but an oversight means she still has hers, when you say tight, will it catch on anything outside or rub pn her skin?

You may just have to keep checking it doesn't cut into her flesh if she begins to outgrow it.

I had this conversation with my vet earlier today (on your behalf, I hope you don't mind!) and she said that most rings are so tough that to get them off without breaking the rabbit's leg, it's preferable to sedate.

However, see what your vet suggests, if and when it becomes a necessity.

You may just have to keep checking it doesn't cut into her flesh if she begins to outgrow it.

I had this conversation with my vet earlier today (on your behalf, I hope you don't mind!) and she said that most rings are so tough that to get them off without breaking the rabbit's leg, it's preferable to sedate.

However, see what your vet suggests, if and when it becomes a necessity.

Oh gosh and thank you. I will see what my vet says.

I'm sure she's just adjusting to life with you. She won't understand the abundance of love and warmth that you have in your home and that she's safe now. You wish you could just tell them this and they'd understand but they have to 'feel it' and adjust their own way. Lillian still legs it when we try to go near her- and we've had her over a year now. She doesn't beat me up as much as she used to but she huffs and puffs as if being held is like the worst thing ever. But her life is fulfilled with Henry being ther, and I'm sure your beautiful bun will find so much happiness from being with Dillon. Everything crossed for them.

I’m sure she will settle down, once she gets used to all the changes. It’s a lot for her to adjust to, but she will learn to trust you.

I'm sure she's just adjusting to life with you. She won't understand the abundance of love and warmth that you have in your home and that she's safe now. You wish you could just tell them this and they'd understand but they have to 'feel it' and adjust their own way. Lillian still legs it when we try to go near her- and we've had her over a year now. She doesn't beat me up as much as she used to but she huffs and puffs as if being held is like the worst thing ever. But her life is fulfilled with Henry being ther, and I'm sure your beautiful bun will find so much happiness from being with Dillon. Everything crossed for them.

Me too, I so hope so. It does not matter is she doesnt like us, but I want her to love dilly.

I’m sure she will settle down, once she gets used to all the changes. It’s a lot for her to adjust to, but she will learn to trust you.

I know I worry about the stress for her, we are back at work today so she hopefully can have a quiet day watching Dilly.

I know I worry about the stress for her, we are back at work today so she hopefully can have a quiet day watching Dilly.

It will be worth it, and it’s all changes in her life that are to make it better. They certainly look like they are interested in each other :love:

Me too, I so hope so. It does not matter is she doesnt like us, but I want her to love dilly.

I’m sure she will come to like and then love you :love: Fern, the bunny who stamped and nipped at me in fear when I met her for the first time, now bumps me on the leg wanting nose rubs, and came to sit next to me, almost grooming me as I stroked her :love: she is still nervous at times (I saw a glimpse of the nervous look in her eye when I took a noisy plastic bag in to their room) she uses Frosty a lot as support, hopefully Dillon will be able to help her to get used to you too :love:

Back