• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Fox Reminder

I have seen them walk across a roof 20 ft up - only accessible by getting over an 8 ft fence then up varoious stages of brick wall!!

Foxes can jump and climb over fences as high as 7 ft. Easily. They are as agile as cats.

And they are out during the day, too, so don't leave your bunnies unsupervised at any time. Not even in your house, if you have a window or door open. Foxes go into houses.

Yes please..... this job is on my to do list for tomorrow! Along with buying a padlock for the hinged lid of hutch and steel brackets to reinforce the hutch floor. :?

I have just covered them up for the night so it was a bit too dark, but will take photos in the morning before I take the doors off, and will post later tomorrow after work :wave::wave:

They are definitely out and about in Cambridge.

I was woken up at 5.30am the other morning by a strange sound and looked out to see the biggest dog fox I have ever seen in the road outside our house. It seemed to be barking at a local cat. It was separated from my buns in their hutch by a six foot wall but it would have cleared that with ease if it had wanted to. Fortunately the milkman drove into the road at that moment and it legged it.

I spent the next day spraying Scoot liberally around the perimeter to our garden and checking all my other fox deterrents. Then last night Rio woke me up thumping louder than I have ever heard him thump before. I raced out into the garden and although I couldn't see anything, he was really freaked out by something and I had to spend quite a while calming him down.

I have also started to see those little tell-tale piles of fox faeces around.

Having just been out in the garden to do bunny walkround, we could hear the foxes 'rutting' or whatever it is they do to sort out their heirachy. The screeching is blood curdling. I went over to see them and all I could see was a series of 'cat's eyes' in the long grass looking back at my head torch. This will be the 7 babies sorting out who's going and who's staying around I guess.

Having just been out in the garden to do bunny walkround, we could hear the foxes 'rutting' or whatever it is they do to sort out their heirachy. The screeching is blood curdling. I went over to see them and all I could see was a series of 'cat's eyes' in the long grass looking back at my head torch. This will be the 7 babies sorting out who's going and who's staying around I guess.

Couldn't agree with that more!

We keep being woken up at 4am by the foxes screaming, it really puts you on edge as it sounds like they're wounded.

When one woke us up the other day we looked outside and it was sat outside our back door, just staring in :shock:
We have house bunnies on the other side of that wall.. Guess who's paranoid about locking EVERYTHING and triple checking at night :D

I think that we are quite lucky in a way. There has been a colony of foxes living near us since I moved her 15 years ago. Our next door neighbour but one feeds them in their field across the road every night and rather than encouraging them it means that they don't go hungry and seem to keep away. We know they do visit now and again but as all of the accommodation is totally fox proof and every rabbit can get out of sight, I don't think it bothers them unduly.

sorry if this is a stupid question, but do foxes detect rabbits by smell or sight?

I would imagine its by smell because they wouldn't be able to see them through a fence/wall :? And possibly hearing them moving about

I think that we are quite lucky in a way. There has been a colony of foxes living near us since I moved her 15 years ago. Our next door neighbour but one feeds them in their field across the road every night and rather than encouraging them it means that they don't go hungry and seem to keep away. We know they do visit now and again but as all of the accommodation is totally fox proof and every rabbit can get out of sight, I don't think it bothers them unduly.

The opposite seems to have happened here. Our next door neighbour used to feed them and we used to hear a lot of screeching and would see them too. Now she's stopped and we haven't seen foxes for a while, or heard them. We have a badger now instead. Out of interest, does anyone know if badgers are a threat to rabbits?

Thank you for the info. about how high they can scale what a worry! I will have to have a word with my OH about the piggies they have to live outside because I'm allergic.

I would like to remind cat owners that foxes aren't fussy. I keep my two in from about 6 p.m. onward or dusk which ever comes first. A fox killed a cat in the playground of my children's school so I don't take any chances.

Thank you for the info. about how high they can scale what a worry! I will have to have a word with my OH about the piggies they have to live outside because I'm allergic.

I would like to remind cat owners that foxes aren't fussy. I keep my two in from about 6 p.m. onward or dusk which ever comes first. A fox killed a cat in the playground of my children's school so I don't take any chances.

Yes, I keep my cats in after dark too.. they dont go out much anyway. Half an hour in the morning before work, and an hour or two in the afternoon when I am bunny watching (4-6pm) or dark.

My cat flap is locked all other times.

The opposite seems to have happened here. Our next door neighbour used to feed them and we used to hear a lot of screeching and would see them too. Now she's stopped and we haven't seen foxes for a while, or heard them. We have a badger now instead. Out of interest, does anyone know if badgers are a threat to rabbits?

same here - used to be a family living locally (of foxes) when neighbour fed them - now have up sticks and moved after he stopped feeding.

Hiya my colleague was telling me just the other day that a badger got into her garden and managed to get into a hutch and attacked her piggies (that were housed next to the bunnies)!

It killed one of the piggies but they heard all the noise before it got chance to try to get any of the others ..... one of the bunnies was so shocked it went into a daze for a day or so afterwards!!

HTH, Jo x

Back