• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

7 Rabbits Tossed Out of Car Boot & Abandoned on Hampstead Heath

Our local shelter charges a fee if you want to give up a pet for adoption. I hadn't realised shelters did this, but i suppose cost is a reason people give up their pets, so it did make me wonder if that might just push people to abandon instead... I just can't understand how anyone thinks it's ok though. This sort thing shouldn't happen really, do people onky think it counts as abandonment if the animal has been beaten first?

Last edited:
I believe it's illegal to let an animal stray. So it's definitely illegal to chuck them onto Hampstead Heath :(

I know what you mean. I'm not trying to defend their actions. I don't agree with what they done and think its disgusting.

However, I wanted to point out its not as simple as just handing them over to a re-homing centre. There are long lists at almost all centres which can be as long as 6 months. (Sometimes longer)

Those poor little bunnies, just awful chucking them all out to fend for themselves :( thank goodness they are safe.

My sisters found hamsters in a broken cage under a bush when we were younger. Probably the same circumstances as there were babies, so owner got rid. I remember at my old vets they said someone had found a hamster cage + hamster dumped in their skip and brought it in to the vets :shock: I don't know how anyone could have that on their conscience.

I know what you mean. I'm not trying to defend their actions. I don't agree with what they done and think its disgusting.

However, I wanted to point out its not as simple as just handing them over to a re-homing centre. There are long lists at almost all centres which can be as long as 6 months. (Sometimes longer)

Yes I agree with you. I know you're not defending, just explaining.

Also, many people think it's absolutely OK to let an animal stray - or 'release it into the wild'. They have no concept that in most cases the rabbit wouldn't survive long at all.

Yes I agree with you. I know you're not defending, just explaining.

Also, many people think it's absolutely OK to let an animal stray - or 'release it into the wild'. They have no concept that in most cases the rabbit wouldn't survive long at all.

Same with birds. Many people come into the shop saying its horrid to see the finches etc in cages & they should be set free. They never listen when you explain they are born in captivity & simply wouldn't survive... other birds would love to attack them.

How can someone be so heartless as to toss them out on the side of the road :( Poor little bunnies. Hopefully they find great homes now so at least something good would come out of it. I hate when people release animals into the wild. Must be so scary for them, and a very short life if they aren't found.

Same with birds. Many people come into the shop saying its horrid to see the finches etc in cages & they should be set free. They never listen when you explain they are born in captivity & simply wouldn't survive... other birds would love to attack them.

Wow, I find it genuinely scary that grown adults actually think this way. Anyone over the age of 5 should be smart enough to understand that and not have to have it explained to them in the first place! As much as I'd love to work in a pet shop I don't think I'd last a day, the customers would either annoy me to death (not many things in general annoy me but I have low tolerance for animal ignorance) or I'd get fired for snapping at some idiot lol.

Its not always that simple. There are normally long waiting lists which some people just can not wait for - for whatever reason.

But it definitely does NOT justify their actions.

Good point. Such a shame that animals are so ofen seen as comodities. Desposable ones at that.

As much as I'd love to work in a pet shop I don't think I'd last a day, the customers would either annoy me to death (not many things in general annoy me but I have low tolerance for animal ignorance) or I'd get fired for snapping at some idiot lol.

I'm lucky with most of our customers. Always giving complements on how happy and healthy our animals look (even today when three pairs of guinea pigs have signs on their cages saying they're not for sale as they are having vet treatment).
You do need a certain knack when working with people in the animal care industry - its easy to lose your cool with them.

How can someone be so heartless as to toss them out on the side of the road :( Poor little bunnies. Hopefully they find great homes now so at least something good would come out of it. I hate when people release animals into the wild. Must be so scary for them, and a very short life if they aren't found.

Wow, I find it genuinely scary that grown adults actually think this way. Anyone over the age of 5 should be smart enough to understand that and not have to have it explained to them in the first place! As much as I'd love to work in a pet shop I don't think I'd last a day, the customers would either annoy me to death (not many things in general annoy me but I have low tolerance for animal ignorance) or I'd get fired for snapping at some idiot lol.

I think as much as anything, it's ignorance rather than wilful cruelty.

That said, I can't imagine anyone not thinking that 'throwing rabbits away' wouldn't constitute cruelty :shock:

Ruby was left in a box outside a Pets at Home store...she is such a lovely character, I just don't understand how someone could do that too her. At least she wasn't just dumped in parkland...thank goodness someone saw and they were rescued!

Ruby was left in a box outside a Pets at Home store...she is such a lovely character, I just don't understand how someone could do that too her. At least she wasn't just dumped in parkland...thank goodness someone saw and they were rescued!

People think - genuinely - that rabbits are happy living in a filthy little hutch that they clean out once a month. They have no concept that a rabbit needs space to run, clean surroundings and good food and water - at the very least!

Ruby is a very lucky little girl to have found you x

Back