• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

3rd eyelid showing

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I'm a bit worried about Jake. He was at the vets for his vaccine a few weeks ago and I asked about his ears, as in the past he's had wax build up and needed ear cleaner, and I'd noticed he was shaking and scratching his ears occasionally. The vet had a good luck and said there was some wax build up that seemed slightly wet, so just incase he was given Surolan drops. He finished a 2 week course on Wednesday. I did notice sometimes when cleaning his ears both 3rd eyelids would show slightly. Now both are showing at times, for example when he rushed forward to greet us/snatch food or sometimes when eating.

I'm worried with what happened to Jasmine and her eye abscess but with Jake it's both and it comes/goes. His ears are still a bit greasy from the cleaner, could it be related? I'm thinking of waiting until next Wednesday for a vet visit see if stops?

If he will allow it can you do the Wheelbarrow Test on him, ie place him on a table and gently raise his back end up so he takes most of his weight on his front end. See if his eyes bulge/third eyelids protrude then.

Blimey, the last thing you need is more stress Liz :cry:

Thank you, I know I'm trying not to get ahead of myself and think of tumour/heart issues :( Will do the test though, he's a very easy to handle rabbit so will allow it. He's such a good boy

It could be something as simple as the Surolan on his fur irritating his eyes if the Surolan has leaked out of his ears a lot.

Thank you all xx. Yeah the cleaner is greasy feeling and stays on fur a while so his ear fur still looks wet so hoping it's just related.

Sending vibes just a bit of irritation/allergy and will resolve quickly.
It must be hard for you to stay calm after your recent experience., so I am sending a hug too.

Thank you. His eyes do not bulge nor do his 3rd eyelids show more on the wheelbarrow test. When they're not showing they are very easy to come out slightly, for example stroking his head/moving his eyelid slightly. On closer look, on one eyelid there is a tiny lump. On the other side there is possibly some slight fur loss in the corner.
920403e0a1067a9fefc2ed2bc7d20872.jpg
a0837771dd7fa5f9e650672775a51f4c.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Could it be reaction to the vaccine? just thinking with the little lump on his eye? His eye looks bright and alert xx

Thank you, I said that to my partner despite he had the triple last year. I'm reassured now I've seen the lump to be honest, and my partner said he could see a tiny one on the other side too. He's otherwise really well, I think I'll see how he goes and call for an appointment on my day off Wednesday to get him checked if it's not cleared?

Thank you, I said that to my partner despite he had the triple last year. I'm reassured now I've seen the lump to be honest, and my partner said he could see a tiny one on the other side too. He's otherwise really well, I think I'll see how he goes and call for an appointment on my day off Wednesday to get him checked if it's not cleared?
Sounds like a good plan to me. You could maybe ring for advice in the meantime if you were worried. But the fact he’s otherwise well and there’s no issues with the wheelbarrow test is reassuring I think xx

Thank you, yeah I think I will call. Normally I'd probably take him straight away but I'm a bit cautious of stressing him and Fern and risking any fallouts even though they'd go together xx

I think the vets have become fairly accustomed to being sent photos/videos during the pandemic so hopefully they can have a look remotely if necessary :thumb:

Thank you that's worth a try :)

I'll take photos tomorrow too to compare to today see if there's any changes or fingers crossed improvement

Fingers crossed it’s something that isn’t an issue. If he seems bright and healthy then hopefully it’s nothing serious.

I called the vets as the open for urgent enquiries for an hour on a Sunday morning and they asked me to check his genitals for any swelling/bumps in the case of a vaccine reaction, which he has none. They mentioned this, which my dog also has several of which we manage as removal is not warranted. Hopefully they go on their own.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Meib/Meib_en.htm

Lord H has a Meibomian Cyst, he has had it for a long time and it has not grown.

Back