• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

1st time bonding two girls, advice needed....

I could really do with some advice, 4 hours after the introduction Poppy (harleyquinn) started mounting Ruby many times. Ruby didn't like it and ran away every time looking very stressed. She stamped her foot too. After a few times Ruby started making a grunting squeak sound which I read was a sign of her becoming anxious and scared. Ruby also jumped over the 60cm high pen twice during the mounting events. So last night before bed I decided to put them back in their separate cages. My question is how long do I let the mounting go on for? If it is excessive and the other one clearly doesn't like it is it a sign that things could go wrong? I am wanting to give them a second date today but need a bit of help and advice along the way, cheers!

In the 3 hours previous to this, they ignored each other most of the time, occasionally nose bumped and touched whiskers. Engaged in eating from the food bowl, greens and engaged in simutaneous grooming. They lay down in separate corners and didn't seem to bothered about the other bunny being present.

In the 6 weeks prior, they have both been living in separate cages in the kitchen but placed side by side, swapping living quarters regularly. They are both spayed. Poppy is a 4 year old harleyquinn lop. Ruby is a 5 month old lionhead lop, was spayed last month. The meeting took place in my utility room in a 2ft x 2ft pen after a bumpy car ride.

bun_zpswduamkxt.jpg

Hello :wave:, humping is a very normal way for your bunnies to sort out dominance & I expect it will calm down once the girls have established their hierarchy. I'm bonding at the moment & by day 3 it had almost been eliminated. When it was excessive (or on the wrong end) I pushed Joe off & attempted distraction with forage but essentially its just bunny communication & needs to happen.

To me your buns are showing good signs in being calm a lot of the time & mirroring activities. Humping is after all another positive sign

Best of luck with it all

It took us about a week each time, first time before Lucy was spayed and then when she was spayed as he didn't recognise her scent. Both times were nerve racking as biscuit - neutered male, would nip and hump Lucy! Eventually the nipping stopped and it was humping but she hated it and ran every time. Try swapping the litter around. we had Lucy in a make do cage and biscuit was free range. I used to put her poo and wee in his liter and his in hers. I also put his blanket in with her so her scent would rub off on it.

Although I did wake up one morning and I have no idea how she managed it but she escaped out the cage ( which had a roof lol) and was being chased by biscuit the whole time, obv I put her back and then she would do it again! But like I said took us a week :)
76c69ac3e7a7922f57f294dafb0d428d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back