• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

1st meeting - Doe attacked Buck

Mollyrose

Warren Scout
My two Belgians had their first intro today, they have been next to each other in pens for the last 4 months, while they were snipped and sorted out. and today we took them to a neutral place, and let them meet each other. but it didn't go as well as i anticipated, my Doe ran straight over to my buck and attacked him, they had a nasty scrap, but i managed to separate them quickly. They have never shown much aggression towards each other when they were separated by Mesh; they used to eat, wash, and lie next to each other when they were separated. they did occasionally nip each other through the bars.. but this then followed with a nose to nose sniff and a 'flop' next to each other.

Im really worried they wont get along now that they have had this scrap :(

P1150585.jpg

where did you introduce them?, it could be a dominance thing the doe deciding she wants to be top bun

I can't offer bonding advice but I just wanted to say how absolutely beautiful they are. Stunning creatures. :love:

where did you introduce them?, it could be a dominance thing the doe deciding she wants to be top bun

on the lawn, in a large pen,

they are normally allowed out in the entire garden (escape proof *crossedfingers*) i thought maybe because they didnt have access to hidyholes and places where they may have scent marked, that there wouldn't be any problem with territory.. but im thinking i may have been wrong and should find a new 'neutral place' ..?

Rosie (Black/Tan Doe) sprinted over and humped him, and he was submissive to start with but just got fed up, and they both turned on each other, they had a big squabble and punch up, My buck Chester has a few bite marks, and there's a lot of Fur all over the lawn now...

Do you think they will still be alright?

You will have to put them together in an area where they haven't been so there is nothing to be territorial about..Best of luck.

You will have to put them together in an area where they haven't been so there is nothing to be territorial about..Best of luck.

Good advice.

I have had similar problems in the past, but a total neutral area has works in the past.

Some chasing and nipping is usual, full blown attacking is not good. But at this early stage I would try the neutral space and perhaps have a water squirter at hand to spray and used if need be. This has worked for my present bunnies, Estelle and Frankie.

Best of luck.:thumb:

Good advice.

I have had similar problems in the past, but a total neutral area has works in the past.

Some chasing and nipping is usual, full blown attacking is not good. But at this early stage I would try the neutral space and perhaps have a water squirter at hand to spray and used if need be. This has worked for my present bunnies, Estelle and Frankie.

Best of luck.:thumb:

Thanks!

today my buck Came up behind my doe, sniffed her, and within a split second he pounced and went for her neck, Scratching and Growling :(

because i only have a small house, and the bunnies have pretty much been everywhere, i was thinking of taking them to a friends house to do the bonding? i've heard that a car journey can sometimes help the bonding process? any opinions on this?

Also, ive heard they should be able to see and smell each other 24/7? - at the moment my doe is living in my shed, and my buck has a large Enclosure/Avery, at the end of the garden.
so i am thinking of buying a new hutch and putting it inside my bucks Enclosure? but i am worried that this will just stress both of them out?

Back