• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. DemiS

Rabbit shed flooring

Just wood, it was nailed down to the shed floor before the sides went on so it's nice and secure and they can't chew the edges. I've just realised you said your rabbit has sore hocks, this obviously isn't very cushioned but it's also not rough/abrasive. I have soft bedding in their litter tray...
  2. DemiS

Weepy Eye - What do savvy vets typically do?

It's not been mentioned yet, it's crossed my mind a few times but for about 4 months only one eye was affected and I've never seen him sneeze. I'll ask when we are next there, I suppose it might be easy to rule out with a short course of allergy medication. I'd also wondered if we might have to...
  3. DemiS

Ways to keep hay low to the ground without being peed on?

Looking for some ideas! I am trying to find a way to keep my rabbits hay low to/on the ground without it getting peed on. My two rabbits currently have a very large mesh hay rack hung above their litter tray so lots of bits of hay stick out and they have to reach up a little to get it but one...
  4. DemiS

Rabbit shed flooring

I use vinyl flooring in my shed, I picked a type that said it was slip resistant and safe for bathrooms. It's very textured so they don't slip around on it, but the texture does make it very hard to clean without a scrubbing brush. I've used vetbed and foam play mats in the past and they just...
  5. DemiS

Just an update, we managed to get him in to see a really good rabbit vet a few weeks after I made this post. His xrays were clear, his teeth and nasolacrimal duct aren't the issue. She sent off some swabs to a lab and when the results came back she prescribed him some Exocin eye drops which the...
  6. DemiS

Thanks I was hoping you'd see this and reply :) I think seeing as he's eating fine and the skin isn't sore I will wait for the rabbit savvy vet and stop wasting my time at my current one as I'm always going to be second guessing what they're telling me
  7. DemiS

:wave: My old boy Elmo came back from boarding with a bad eye. Every day there's a bit of white discharge in the corner and the fur around it doesn't appear wet but it does become a bit crusty and matted despite me trying to clean and brush it. Luckily the skin isn't sore yet. So far he's had...
  8. DemiS

Long term boarding in the North/Midlands

Hello, I am planning on going travelling for a year (about a year and a half from now, summer 2023) and I want to start looking into options for my rabbits. They're a trio, currently outdoors but have been house rabbits in the past. Does anyone know of any boarders or pet sitters that would be...
  9. DemiS

Strange posture/movement

Thanks everyone! I hadnt really considered a urinary problem because when his brother had an infection he didn't sit like this at all, and to be honest when mine pee they don't have this posture either, they're more rounded with tails held high. The vet never mentioned it either. Somebunny has...
  10. DemiS

Strange posture/movement

In June I noticed Cookie was sitting very strangely and moving around in a slow, awkward way. This lasted for a few days then he went back to normal. Then a few days ago it started up again, I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures how strangely he is arching his back. He will not hop...
  11. DemiS

To insure or not insure

I think it very much depends on your financial situation. As others have said, sometimes you can get a surprise vet bill well over £1000. If you have the savings to be able to pay something like that upfront, insurance probably isn't as essential. I've never had it, and those big vet bills are a...
  12. DemiS

Nearly took Cookie to the OOH vets then this popped out! U/D he's done it again

If something pokes your eye you automatically move away right? Well apparently Cookie didnt get that memo and i've just pulled another seed out of his eye after noticing him squinting again. This seed was much much smaller luckily and no where near as rough, he also wasnt squinting as badly as...
  13. DemiS

I thought I'd update this for anyone who searches 'ulcer' in the future. Brilliant news, 10 days later and Cookie's eye has completely healed! I'm really surprised because apparently they can take a really long time and need surgery in some cases. It's a good job really because poor Cookie was...
  14. DemiS

Thanks everyone! I'm really hoping surgery isn't necessary :( I think the seed was only in overnight because me and my boyfriend saw plenty of him the day before and he wasn't squinting at all, then yesterday he would barely open his eye. Looking at some pictures I think it was possibly an oat...
  15. DemiS

Cookie was still not opening his eye fully this morning so I took him to the vets and unfortunately the grass seed has caused a pretty nasty ulcer :( . It's a good job I'm on holiday from work this week because I have to give him drops SEVEN times a day :shock: Antibiotic drops four times a day...
  16. DemiS

He's still a bit squinty which isn't surprising given how irritated his eyes must have been but at least he's running around and eating now. He's in a huge strop with me though, every time he sees me he runs inside his shed and hides. I think I'll take him to the vets tomorrow if he's still...
  17. DemiS

I went out to the rabbits this morning and noticed Cookie's eye was a bit gunky and half shut. I rinsed it with lots of sterile eye wash, gave him some banana, he took one bite then left the rest so my first thought was uh oh, this sounds like a dental related problem! Anyway I rang the...
  18. DemiS

Mould - Bunny safe ways to clean and prevent it in the shed?

Thanks guys I'll see what they say. To be honest though I do think all the excess moisture (and therefore mould growth) is from the bunnies breathing and bringing in water via soggy footprints rather than a pre existing shed problem. The ikea pegboard has swollen and warped, there's mould trying...
  19. DemiS

Mould - Bunny safe ways to clean and prevent it in the shed?

Unfortunately the problem is getting worse, probably due to the extremely cold and wet weather we have had recently. I put a vent near the mouldiest area and bought a non-electric dehumidifier (which so far hasn't collected a single drop) but now theres a mix of white and blue mould in various...
  20. DemiS

Vets refusing vaccinations

I would put a complaint in to the practice and the rcvs and move vets. It would be understandable (but not necessarily 'ok') if they had an emergency only policy, but to say cat and dog vaccines are more important than rabbit vaccines is disgusting. If an unvaccinated (or very overdue) rabbit...
Back