• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help! I need to find a good rescue centre to re-home a stray

Hi all,

I've just registered on this site after perusing google for a rescue/rehoming centre for a stray bunny I found on Sunday night.

We live in central London and back onto school playing fields. Late Sunday night there was a knock at the door from a concerned member of the public saying they'd seen a pet rabbit in the grounds. We have lots of foxes, the occasional wild rabbit and birds but no tame looking creatures.

I went on a hunt for it with my torch and found the poor thing terrified in some long grass near the entrance being stalked by a fox! I picked it up and it gladly came to me, took it inside and gave it some food and a place to stay for the night. Will reiterate, it's definitely a pet and not feral.

I've posted messages on all my local forums, emailed the residents association, asked around and even spoke with the police, to see if anyone had lost their bunny, perhaps it had escaped? However, nobody has come forward and I assume that sadly someone couldn't look after it and decided to dump it in the grounds assuming it would survive. Obviously, it wouldn't. People are terrible aren't they?! Makes me so mad...

The groundsman informs me that after lockdown they had several bunnies abandoned in these grounds of which a few died.

The rabbit has been staying inside our place, I've made it a nice cosy space with food and water and everything it needs but we have no secure outdoor space for it to enjoy and we have a very frisky cat and dog! I also believe rabbits are happier when they're with other rabbits.

It's a very sweet little thing, black and white and looks healthy, but unfortunately I cannot keep it. So, I'm looking for a reputable establishment that will give it a good life or ensure it's re-homed into a loving environment as I suspect it hasn't had the best start to life. I've been searching and nowhere seems able to take it. They're either full or don't take strays - I've tried city farms etc.

Could someone please give me some advice as to where I should be looking?

I intend on taking it to the vet in the next couple days when I have time off from work to check if it's chipped.

Many thanks in advanced.

Animal lover
Mandy

It's lovely that you saved this bunny from what sounds like a terrible fate. If you're taking the rabbit to the vet you could ask them about any local rescues, but I would also contact the RSPCA as well explaining the circumstances. Rescues are suffering at present but even if the local RSPCA is full they may know of someone else who can help. Poor little guy sounds like he's had quite the experience, it sounds like you're doing everything you can. The only thing I would add is if you could get some hay (if you haven't already done so) as this should be the bulk of their diet - apologies if you've already done this!

It might be worth trying Pets at Home if you have a local one with an adoption centre, if there are no better options. A rescue will be better placed for a responsible home, in my opinion, as P@H don't do homechecks so bunny could go to pretty much anyone who walks in off the street.

Sometimes rabbits escape or are stolen and dumped. Not all are dumped by uncaring owners. I've had rabbits stolen from their runs in my gardenand were about to be dumped in a sports bag when the boys responsible got fed up of them a few days later. I've also got one that was found in similar circumstances to yours - but (for various reasons) I strongly suspect it was dumped by someone who wasn't the owner.

Well done for taking the time out to rescue it and look after it.

Thanks both for taking the time to reply. I've tried several rescue centres but they can't take bunny as they say they're inundated with rabbits! I've also tried 3 city farms both in central London and on the outskirts, no joy there either. Makes you wonder, if people cannot re-home a rabbit or take it to a rescue centre, they will then dump it! If anyone can recommend a rescue centre that will take the rabbit and give it to a reliable owner then please do let me know. I'm willing to travel if needs be. In hope, Mandy

There is Furlock Holmes, based in Whitchurch, Hampshire. It may be worth trying them perhaps. Such a shame for this little rabbit - very lucky that you were kind enough to rescue.

You could also try to rehome privately. That enables you to do a homecheck, or whatever you feel is appropriate. You may also be able to keep in touch with the new owner. There are lots of eg Facebook groups, and the usual online pet sites.

There is Furlock Holmes, based in Whitchurch, Hampshire. It may be worth trying them perhaps. Such a shame for this little rabbit - very lucky that you were kind enough to rescue.

Thank you for this, I've sent them an email. Hopefully they'll respond.

Back