• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recent content by halfpenny

1. H

Breeding two sisters

Being a sanctuary owner, I and other rescues have had to deal with the consequences of people breeding rabbits. I have recently taken in a mini Rex who was kept in a cupboard, been stood on and is skeletal. We are her third home and we think she is 2-3, so don’t think you can breed kits and be...
  2. H

Rabbit with erratic heart rate

Shamrock, one of our older rabbits, about 6-7 years old, has been losing weight, while still having a large tummy. The vet checked him over yesterday and I thought we were going to lose him. He was getting his teeth checked and he started to breathe very heavily. When we put him back in his run...
  3. H

I can’t find a single female!

Is there a reason you specifically want a female, when bonding, I’ve found male/ female bonding easiest, but neutered male/ male has been next easiest and neutered female/ female the hardest. It may be worth contacting those with neutered males, assuming your boy is and discussing options.
  4. H

The Cost of Veterinary Treatment

I think it’s a difficult thing to assess costs, regarding vets. In Aberdeen, many vets are independently owned but no longer do out of hours call, which are all done by vets now. The fees for out of hours treatment is ridiculous. It got to the point that people would call our vets for...
  5. H

Vets

If you see him, tell him Louise Yule says ‘hi’!
  6. H

Vets

I worked for many years for/ with Scott Young who now works at Crown vets. He is a great vet who has treated many of my rabbits over the years. 😁
  7. H

Cerenia injection

Good to know, thank you.
  8. H

Neurological issues.

Sadly Mocha’s head tilt returned and she had it for a few years. Last year she had to get her tear ducts flushed and the vets wanted to pts because she took so long to right herself after the op. I spent the night holding her upright and by the next day she was back to normal. Sadly the flush...
  9. H

One of my rabbit savvy vets, has never seen what my bunny has

Rabbit pus is usually thick, like cottage cheese so I would question if it was pus. I certainly would not use an antibiotic ( especially penicillin) without a vet’s say so and I wouldn’t use an old supply. Good luck with your old boy.
  10. H

Charlie (goat) needs a dental

So glad to read it’s all gone well and hopefully not a regular occurrence!
  11. H

Charlie (goat) needs a dental

dentals in goats are not common at all. We’ve had over 20 goats over the years and only 1 got a dental. She was sedated at home and the horse dentist did her teeth as she had the best equipment. You need to be very careful as goats are ruminants and regurgitate easily. We had a goat sedated for...
  12. H

Wild rabbit....anyone with experience of raising a full wildie please?

We’ve had 4 full wildies and 2 half wildies, my first ever Rabbit was a wildies called Benji. We have Little One at the moment. I must say, i’ve never had an issue bonding, but mine were young rabbits, Benji had been hit by a car and the rest were either taken by cats or dogs. When anybody is...
  13. H

Those Who Run Rescues

A lot of good points from Jill, especially about being good with people. It’s hard when taking in a pet because the owner has fallen on hard times ( be it health, relationship or finances) and is doing the best for that animal, whilst it’s breaking their hearts, then on the other side, you have...
  14. H

Those Who Run Rescues

Hi, we run a sanctuary, space, time and finances are the biggest issues with running rescues. In answer to your questions- 1. We never look for animals, we would be overwhelmed and over run is we looked on gumtree and Facebook etc. We wait for people to contact us via vets, other rescues or word...
Back