• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recent content by greybunny

1. G

Buying a new hutch

How much does a playhouse cost and where can you get a suitable one from?
  2. G

Buying a new hutch

I've had a look on ebay but all the hutches seem to be smaller and the runs aren't very big - if you can correct me on this I'd be more than happy!
  3. G

Buying a new hutch

I know that this topic has been covered loads of times but I've been searching through the forum and I can't find the threads - sorry! I'm buying a new hutch for my bunnies for Christmas. I've been to Pets at Home and I'm trying to decide between a single storey hutch that's 5ft x 2ft x 2ft or...
  4. G

Very sad story - myxomatosis advice please

Thank you so much to all of you who have offered support on this forum, both through the main forum and through personal messages. We really appreciate that you recognise that we had a difficult decision to make and that we really did have the rabbit's best interests at heart - we weren't trying...
  5. G

If the vet had told me to wait until morning and then bring it in, that's exactly what I would have done. As it is, she told me to kill the bunny there and then to end its suffering. So someone much more qualified and experienced made the decision, who am I to argue? Perhaps it wasn't the best...
  6. G

I too have to make decisions in the middle of the night - I'm a hospital doctor. However, these decisions are made within my field of expertise. I have no experience at dealing with sick animals, and so I had to rely on the advice of the vet. It's definitely not a decision I'd have taken in the...
  7. G

Thank you hunnybunnykins, I just wanted the bunny not to suffer any more. It was obviously using all its energy and effort to breathe, and was taking long, gasping breaths - it was a terrible sound. gina paul, I appreciate your input although it's making me feel much worse. I'm not saying I...
  8. G

I think you're right, he was barely conscious. We tried to tempt him with hay, water and pellets but he made no move at all. He just sat wherever I put him down and didn't struggle when I picked him up. I've just read that myxomatosis is not usually spread from rabbit to rabbit, and I think...
  9. G

The bunny couldn't see the car - he couldn't see anything. I feel absolutely terrible about it two, but at the time it seemed like the better option than holding its back legs up and pressing down on its neck like we were instructed. If I had to go back and do it again I'd ring the RSPCA for advice.
  10. G

Thanks elve, we did agonise over it and I'm sure it died instantly. Neither of us thought about the RSPCA - we just assumed that the vet would give us the right advice albeit in a not so nice way.
  11. G

I know it doesn't seem like the best thing to do to have run it over, but the vet wouldn't help so we felt like we were on our own in the middle of the night. I couldn't break his neck the way we were told, I'd have been too scared of getting it wrong and leaving him in pain. Running him over...
  12. G

This is a very sad story but I'd appreciate any feedback and advice! Late last night, my boyfriend and I were driving home from a party. We narrowly missed hitting a small rabbit which was sitting in the middle of the road. The rabbit didn't move, so I got out of the car to try to shoo him to...
  13. G

plastic hutch and rabbit run advice please!

I made a huge run for my bunnies (9ft x 6ft) out of wood and wire mesh, but 9 months later the weather is taking its toll and it's slowly disintegrating. I was thinking about getting the run advertised on Rabbit Rehome http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/donate/rabbitrun.asp to replace it and was...
  14. G

how can you tell if a bunny is overweight?

Hi! I have two bunnies (boy and girl) who came from a rescue. I don't know exactly what breed they are, they're shorthaired, straight eared grey bunnies about 1.5 years old. When we got them we were advised to feed them up a bit as they were previously neglected and so quite skinny. They've...
  15. G

earwigs in hutch

Hi! Does anyone know whether earwigs cause bunnies any harm? When I was cleaning the hutch today I found around 10 earwigs in the hutch (most were under the litter tray). I've closely inspected the bunnies and they seem fine and I've never noticed any earwigs before but I just wondered if anyone...
Back