• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Julie post 73. Not great but she is still with us

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
Julie is in pain this morning. I am positive it is that it is that abscessed tooth that the vet tried to pull but could not get out a week ago. She will not take her antibiotic. She shows interest in food especially herbs but then she struggles to eat only a tiny bit of it. She is moving all around from bed to bed trying to get comfy.
I called her vet but was told that her vet will not be in until Tuesday and no one else will see a rabbit. I called the other vet that isn't all that rabbit savvy but thinks her is and she too will not be in until Tuesday. They also told me that no one there will see a rabbit. I have no idea why all the rabbit doctors will be out until Tuesday. Thing is the vet that Julie sees is the best rabbit savvy vet that we have anywhere around here. There are only a couple that will see rabbits at all and none seem to be around today.
Help!!!!! I can't watch my baby be in pain until Tuesday.
Thing is up until this morning she has been eating great for the last few days and acting like she has felt great.
I don't know what happened but suspect that she has over done it with chewing hay.
I gave her her .6 ml of metacam which did nothing then I gave her .2ml. It was actually a struggle to get her to take any metacam usually she loves it.
It was only after the extra metacam though that Julie started acting like she wants to eat. I think it is just taking the edge off the pain a little.
Questions;
How much metacan can she have? She has lost weight the last year. She is now only 3.5 kg
If I can find a vet willing to see her. The vet won't know anything about rabbits so what can I ask them to give her?
Please help us. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
I am not very savvy with metacam dosages but if you can let us know the weight of your rabbit and also whether it is cat or dog metacam someone may be able to advise.

I hope it is something minor and she feels better soon. x

I am not very savvy with metacam dosages but if you can let us know the weight of your rabbit and also whether it is cat or dog metacam someone may be able to advise.

I hope it is something minor and she feels better soon. x

It is dog metacam and she is around 3.5 kg or 8 pounds.

My cheeky is on dog metacam and is on 1.7 ml twice a day. She weighs about 2.6kg. So I think Julie would be ok with more.

The maximum dose Rabbit savvy Vets in the UK are using at the moment is 0.6mg/kg TWELVE HOURLY

So with the DOG Metacam (1.5mg/ml) the maximum dose for Julie would be 1.4ml every 12 hours

But I am not qualified to advise you to administer a higher dose than has been prescribed by your Vet

Has Julie's poo and wee output been OK over the last 12-24 hours ? The shifting about is more indicative of abdominal discomfort than mouth pain.

didnt want to read and run, especially in your time of need. so sending lots of vibes to you and julie. and bumping this thread up so someone more knowledgeable than me to help you. ((((hugs))))

The maximum dose Rabbit savvy Vets in the UK are using at the moment is 0.6mg/kg TWELVE HOURLY

So with the DOG Metacam (1.5mg/ml) the maximum dose for Julie would be 1.4ml every 12 hours

But I am not qualified to advise you to administer a higher dose than has been prescribed by your Vet

Has Julie's poo and wee output been OK over the last 12-24 hours ? The shifting about is more indicative of abdominal discomfort than mouth pain.

Her poo and pee have been normal up until this morning. I haven't seen any poo and pee yet today but she hasn't eaten or drank normally yet.
My first thoughts were that it was her tummy but then after the metacam she is trying to eat, She will take food in her mouth, chew a little and spit it back out with bite marks on it. She keeps/off and on taking little small bites of soft foods mostly herbs but some pumpkin, baby lettuce leaves and oats.
Could it be both her tummy and teeth? If it is her tummy what should I do differently.
Her vet has told me before that I can give her more of the metacam if she appears to be in pain. I have repeatedly asked though up to how much and she never would give a definitive answer just that recently she went to a seminar and the research shows that rabbits can have a lot more than previously thought.
Julie has now had 1.4 total so far and is sitting up and nibbling more. She was before mostly eating in a flat out position. She will all of a sudden jump up and run to a new place to lie down and even thumps her feet still. Does that sound like it could be abdominal pain and teeth or just one or the other?

Her poo and pee have been normal up until this morning. I haven't seen any poo and pee yet today but she hasn't eaten or drank normally yet.
My first thoughts were that it was her tummy but then after the metacam she is trying to eat, She will take food in her mouth, chew a little and spit it back out with bite marks on it. She keeps/off and on taking little small bites of soft foods mostly herbs but some pumpkin, baby lettuce leaves and oats.
Could it be both her tummy and teeth? If it is her tummy what should I do differently.
Her vet has told me before that I can give her more of the metacam if she appears to be in pain. I have repeatedly asked though up to how much and she never would give a definitive answer just that recently she went to a seminar and the research shows that rabbits can have a lot more than previously thought.
Julie has now had 1.4 total so far and is sitting up and nibbling more. She was before mostly eating in a flat out position. She will all of a sudden jump up and run to a new place to lie down and even thumps her feet still. Does that sound like it could be abdominal pain and teeth or just one or the other?

Are you familiar with how a 'normal' Rabbit abdomen feels ?

Has she passed any sludgy wee in the past few days ?

Are you familiar with how a 'normal' Rabbit abdomen feels ?

Has she passed any sludgy wee in the past few days ?

No sludgy wee lately at all. She has problems with calcium so has had sludgy pee in the past. It has been looking pretty good for quite a while since the lower calcium diet.
I don't feel anything out of the ordinary while feeling her abdomen and she isn't minding me have a feel. That one time that she had stasis she didn't want anyone to touch her tummy.

I am waiting for a video that is uploading so you can see how she is acting. It might help tell you something.

The videos of her eating are having trouble loading. She is a real short one and pics of her.

URL=http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb175/hippyhopster/20130601_124632.mp4]
th_20130601_124632.jpg
[/URL]

URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/hippyhopster/media/20130601_124731.jpg.html]
20130601_124731.jpg
[/URL]

Even the short video won't load.

Her position looks more indicative of some sort of abdominal/bladder pain. But it is obviously impossible to say for certain from photos.

Is she still on abx after her Dental ? How long ago was the 'choked on surgical swab' incident ?

Her position looks more indicative of some sort of abdominal/bladder pain. But it is obviously impossible to say for certain from photos.

Is she still on abx after her Dental ? How long ago was the 'choked on surgical swab' incident ?

Her dental and the surgical swab incident was 9 days ago. Yes, she is still on the abx every 12 hours.

Are there any Rabbit Shelters near you ? If so could you call them and ask if they have contact details of a Vet who would see Julie. It seems very odd that in an emergency a Vet can refuse to treat a particular species :?

As she has had no output I do think she needs to be seen ASAP. Even if her GI tract/Urinary Tract are OK, she is clearly in pain and probably in need of a more powerful analgesic.

I wish I could offer more help :cry:

Does she feel OK temperature wise ?

Is her respiratory rate and/or effort increased at all ?

Are there any Rabbit Shelters near you ? If so could you call them and ask if they have contact details of a Vet who would see Julie. It seems very odd that in an emergency a Vet can refuse to treat a particular species :?

As she has had no output I do think she needs to be seen ASAP. Even if her GI tract/Urinary Tract are OK, she is clearly in pain and probably in need of a more powerful analgesic.

I wish I could offer more help :cry:

Does she feel OK temperature wise ?

Is her respiratory rate and/or effort increased at all ?

I just begged an emergency vet office to see her and she said no, we don't have a vet that can treat rabbits.:( The rescue doesn't answer the phone. There are E vets that might have rabbit vets on listed on their website but they are far from here. I will call to see if they are on or not. Julie does not travel well at all. They are further than her vet is.

:( why are they refusing to see her?
That's horrible :( *hugs* keep calm you'll figure something out lovely xxxxx

Eta: I know they say they have no vet that can treat her, but still. :(

:( why are they refusing to see her?
That's horrible :( *hugs* keep calm you'll figure something out lovely xxxxx

Eta: I know they say they have no vet that can treat her, but still. :(

They say that they don't have a vet that can treat rabbits. That is what they keep saying over and over again.

Just found this. The ER vet won't even agree to do an xray to be certain there's no blockage?
I'm shocked that they won't agree to at least take a look or give her fluids or pain relief, even my little back woods ER does that much. :?
I hope she is doing better poor thing. Thinking of you both. I wish I could help. xxxx

Back