• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this a sign of pain?

weedug

Mama Doe
Blossom has very lax joints, which mean her legs can bend in ways they shouldn't. The vet has never seen this in a rabbit, and only once before in kittens, which unfortunately didn't do very well.

She has never been very friendly, but after her joint problem came she was put on metacam and she seemed so much quieter and happier, and would come over to me to be petted. I couldn't get over the change in her.

Now she will launch herself for me when I go anywhere near her, and grunts and squeaks when she is picked up. She is also picking up pieces of hay and throwing them around, as well as eating masses of it. She has also started digging in her toilet tray.

Her poos have gone from being textbook golden, always, to some black and very soft. She is been having a bigger mixture of hay lately though. Teeth were fine 2 weeks ago at her myxo check.

I wondered if this just sounds like a hormone thing (she isn't spayed as there is always a problem with her), or does it sound more like she is in pain?

First she was underweight and I had a problem getting her weight up, then one of my buns had a RTI and the others all had slight symptoms, now the vet is very concerned about her legs, and doesn't want to spay her until spring, when we will have a better idea how quickly her joints will deteriorate. He said given how her legs are, it would be unfair to give her the added pain for a spay, just to find she can only cope for a few months.

The wee soul. I had a foster bun who came after being dumped on someone's doorstep. He had all sorts of problems but had a beautiful nature. One day though he started going for me the minute I opened his crate. He bit my arm through my jumper and made it bleed and would snap at anything and anyone. He had been neutered and given ask his other problems it had to be caused by pain. The vet agreed.

I hope you get to the bottom of it and she can he happier in herself again.

The behaviour is very likely hormonal, although I uderstand your reasons for not having her done. My vet wouldn't neuter Spenser last winter, and he had no other issues, she just wasn't happy to do a bun who would be going back outside after a short recovery indoors. I wouldn't have thought hormones would affect Blossom's poos, although I don't know for certain and could well be wrong!

Thanks. Did you get your little guy sorted?

I have given her a little extra pain relief last night. My vet gave me a maximum dose for her, and is happy enough for me to give her what she needs.

If she doesn't change soon, I think a vet visit might be needed :(. My vet was shocked with her legs when he saw her though :(.

The behaviour is very likely hormonal, although I uderstand your reasons for not having her done. My vet wouldn't neuter Spenser last winter, and he had no other issues, she just wasn't happy to do a bun who would be going back outside after a short recovery indoors. I wouldn't have thought hormones would affect Blossom's poos, although I don't know for certain and could well be wrong!

I would have her done tomorrow, if the vet agreed. She's indoors anyway. He said he would wait for 3 or 4 months, so he could see how quickly her leg problem progressed.

I'm sure I read on here something about throwing bits of hay around as being a sign of pain, but can't remember for sure :oops:.

Thanks. Did you get your little guy sorted?

I have given her a little extra pain relief last night. My vet gave me a maximum dose for her, and is happy enough for me to give her what she needs.

If she doesn't change soon, I think a vet visit might be needed :(. My vet was shocked with her legs when he saw her though :(.

I am afraid not. Even the largest doses of pain relief weren't helping and we knew he definitely had kidney failure. It was time to let him go. Here he is in his favourite place in the kitchen.
OlTree1.JPG

I am afraid not. Even the largest doses of pain relief weren't helping and we knew he definitely had kidney failure. It was time to let him go. Here he is in his favourite place in the kitchen.
OlTree1.JPG

I'm so sorry. At least he had love and care while he was with you.

OlTree1.JPG

my Harry looked exactly like this, he had the best personality but turned the day he had snuffles. We had to pts too. Hugs to you

I have increased Blossom's painkiller, and she is fine now, until between about 11am and 4pm, when she can be a monster, although not as bad as she was.

Poops are fine now she is on the extra pain relief. I have just started giving her the dose twice a day, which also seems to have helped.

I can't figure out what is wrong with her during these hours though. There isn't anything happening then. She likes her little rest then, so I don't know if she feels more vulnerable then? Anyone any thoughts?

Really don't think it is hormonal now, as the rest of the time she is a huge softie, and loves me kissing her nose :oops: and petting her.

Hmm. Those are sleeping hours. Does anything happen in those hours that might disrupt that? When does she get her Metacam given to her?

Could it be that she wants to lie down, or in a specific position/place but is too uncomfortable too?

Hmm. Those are sleeping hours. Does anything happen in those hours that might disrupt that? When does she get her Metacam given to her?

Could it be that she wants to lie down, or in a specific position/place but is too uncomfortable too?

Can't think of anything happening then that is different from any other time. She gets her Metacam at 8am and 8pm.

Before I split the dose, she would run around like a lunatic when I wanted to get her, and then when I put her down she immediately threw herself down and stretched out her back legs, like Floppy does (he has joint problems).

If I just go near just now she rushes off, but just at about 10ish this morning she was a big softie. I picked her up this morning with no problem. She ran off to play with the toys when I put her down.

Back