• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2011 Foraging

We have sunflowers. :D can they have them fresh or dried? Goodness knows when we will get the sort of weather for drying things again. It's rained nearly all week here. :roll:

Just been given a bunch of sunflowers :)
Read on here that buns can eat the leaves, can they eat the stalks too? Coz have cut off the bottom of the stalks and they're nice and chunky. The buns would love to nibble.. but are they safe?

Ok so here are my pictures of Trefoil/Vetch!! Is it Trefoil do ye think? If so, is it safe?!

Photo%2013-08-2011%2017%2023%2040.jpeg

Photo%2013-08-2011%2017%2024%2029%20%28HDR%29.jpeg

Last edited:
Are busy roads a no-no then? There is a load of nettles, hundreds of them, by the side of a road, but its quite a busy one, they are maybe 20 feet away from the road, by a river, but is this far enough to get away from the fumes?

eta- I think I need to go for a good ramble and find some actual countryside I can get to without crossing dangerous roads.

I live on a main road but with fields over the road where I get loads of Louie's dandelions from.

Right, took a few pics on my way home from work :) I THINK these are hawthorn, it looks like the stuff I got from fluffers, but can someone confirm please?

PLANT 1: (no berries on this plant)
plant1.jpg

PLANT 2:
IMG-20110814-00106.jpg

IMG-20110814-00110.jpg

There are loads of bramble plants, but they all have at least some leaves that look like these:
IMG-20110814-00103.jpg

IMG-20110814-00102.jpg

Is this dangerous? Looks like a disease to me. Should I avoid all the plants that have leaves like this, or just the leaves that are like this? Or should the ones with only a couple of browny dots be okay?

Oh and what is this? Looks like a nettle, but purple flowers :?

IMG-20110813-00097.jpg

The first two are hawthorn :D Avoid the berries & aim for the newest growth as this will be less thorny ;) :wave:

You've got hawthorn OK. I'm quite envious of the one without berries. :oops:

With the brambles I'll use them if they've only got a couple of spots. It's not a fungal/mould/rust disease. Thumper will eat them as per normal. He's amazing at knowing what's bad for buns. I've needed a magnifying glass before now to see the tiniest spot of rust on a leaf of wild oats. He won't touch the whole thing. :shock:

The last photo (slightly out of focus). It looks like one of the mint family to me, but not the garden spearmint or peppermint, possibly apple mint or one of the wild mints. Is there a scent of mint when you crush a leaf? It's quite faint with apple mint.
Of the nettles stinging nettles have cascades of green +yellowish brownish flowers from underneath the leaves, & hanging down -always leaves at the top.
The non stinging "dead nettles" have white/yellow/ & much smaller ground level "red" actually pink flowers. The flowers are totally different. Here's a white dead nettle.
DSCF5141.jpg

All the nettle family have slightly more pointed leaves than your photo
I've been taking photos of safe plants (honeysuckle is flowers only - the rest is poisonous. I'm not 100% sure of oxeye daisy but rabbitnutrition says it's safe.)
http://s866.photobucket.com/albums/ab229/judith_af_holland/wild plant photos/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Last edited:
Went for my first proper forage besides my garden today :) Got some nettles, bramble leaves, grass, lavender and rose petals. Bunnies sampled most of them a few minutes ago, they went down well :) Got some pictures of them tucking in which I'll post later on :D

Went for my first proper forage besides my garden today :) Got some nettles, bramble leaves, grass, lavender and rose petals. Bunnies sampled most of them a few minutes ago, they went down well :) Got some pictures of them tucking in which I'll post later on :D

:D:D sounds great - cant wait to see piccies!

Today I gathered some sunflower & rose petals and chopped some sunflower stalks and leaves to dry out! Boxed abox of hawthorn for storing...supposed to be more than one box but the buns have eaten it all!:lol:

Got loads of stuff! I did get some funny looks with my pink gardening gloves and my kitchen scissors! :lol:

Is it okay to pick the berries off of the hawthorn and then give the branch to the buns? Saw about 10 hawthorne bushes/trees but most were inaccessible (over a wall with a 10ft drop the other side!) or had loads of berries. Did get a good amount from one tree though that was leaning into the path. Do they lose their leaves in Autumn? Trying to think how much time I've left to get a good amount!

That stuff was mint Thumps, I took a couple of cuttings but not sure if its safe to feed? I'm sure I read there was one type of mint you cant?

Got loads of stuff! I did get some funny looks with my pink gardening gloves and my kitchen scissors! :lol:

Is it okay to pick the berries off of the hawthorn and then give the branch to the buns? Saw about 10 hawthorne bushes/trees but most were inaccessible (over a wall with a 10ft drop the other side!) or had loads of berries. Did get a good amount from one tree though that was leaning into the path. Do they lose their leaves in Autumn? Trying to think how much time I've left to get a good amount!

That stuff was mint Thumps, I took a couple of cuttings but not sure if its safe to feed? I'm sure I read there was one type of mint you cant?

I'm very happy that you've found stuff to forage & managed to get a lot.:D:D:D
There'll be much more next Spring. ;)
There's a small problem with thorney things. Buns can't see what they're eating - they select by sense of smell & touch - whiskers & lips.:shock:
Just as they very rarely stab themselves in the eye with hay, they can technically do so with thorns.
I either bend them back into the same plane, so when I put the twig down they're flat on the ground or cut them off, so no thorns are sticking up.
Yes, hawthorn loses it's leaves every year. This year is very abnormal. I think it's the drought, & we've lost the deeper underground water so the trees are the worst affected. It's from about Yorkshire South & worst in East England. The leaves on your photos are starting to go yellow. That means they are getting ready to fall. If you get rain they will hang on longer, but if it gets hot, you've maybe about 3-4 weeks left.
Re. mint sorry I can't help because my bun doesn't eat much variety & throws a temper tantrum with most herbs cos he can't chin scent them & ends up being scented by them!:lol: that's not on for a bunny. :lol:

There's a small problem with thorney things. Buns can't see what they're eating - they select by sense of smell & touch - whiskers & lips.:shock:
Just as they very rarely stab themselves in the eye with hay, they can technically do so with thorns.
I either bend them back into the same plane, so when I put the twig down they're flat on the ground or cut them off, so no thorns are sticking up.
Yes, hawthorn loses it's leaves every year. This year is very abnormal. I think it's the drought, & we've lost the deeper underground water so the trees are the worst affected. It's from about Yorkshire South & worst in East England. The leaves on your photos are starting to go yellow. That means they are getting ready to fall. If you get rain they will hang on longer, but if it gets hot, you've maybe about 3-4 weeks left.
Re. mint sorry I can't help because my bun doesn't eat much variety & throws a temper tantrum with most herbs cos he can't chin scent them & ends up being scented by them!:lol: that's not on for a bunny. :lol:

oh dear!:lol::lol::lol::love::love::love: Mine adore herbs...and try to nibble my fingers when they smell of basil:love:

Can anybody identify this plant for me please?:D I've a few of them sprouting up in my garden...is it safe for buns? If so which parts? Thanks in advance!

8cBk669

This is such an interesting thread and so useful too. Incase I have missed anything because I haven't read it all :oops: sorry, I wondered whether Calendula is safe to feed (all parts). I have been feeding this regularly and have now just read a book where it is on the poisonous list:? :? I can't help thinking there is some confusion over Marigold and Calendula.

This is such an interesting thread and so useful too. Incase I have missed anything because I haven't read it all :oops: sorry, I wondered whether Calendula is safe to feed (all parts). I have been feeding this regularly and have now just read a book where it is on the poisonous list:? :? I can't help thinking there is some confusion over Marigold and Calendula.

thankyou! Thats what I was getting wrong then...I though all marigolds were calendula's!:oops:

Ill just get Calendula...now...they are orange & yellow? and dont you get giant ones and normal ones?

Just my neighbour has some but they are huge! nothing like the ones I used to have.:? and they are yeloow with a fringe of darkorange around the petals?

here are some pics?
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ca...98&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:98&tx=103&ty=100
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ca...bnw=207&start=48&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:48

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ca...nw=151&start=131&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:131

They are all quite differen but all seem to be calendula's?

EDIT!!!!
ok...bare with me!:oops::lol: I htink Im being an idiot!
They are all different types of calendula's....there is not just one type of Calendula...there are many and Calendula's is a type of marigold?

Sooo...all Calendula's...(like you said:oops:) are fine no matter their colouring?

ooooh dear....losing the plot here!:roll:

The common calendulas are:
Tagetes small flowers not for buns (dissected leaves)
African marigold (top 2 pics on link) not for buns (dissected leaves)
English (pot) marigold bottom on link -rounded leaves -smooth edge great for buns!:D

aaaah Judy! Thankyou!:oops::lol:

so is English Pot Marigolds....http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/growyourown/60-Marigold, English (Pot).pdf
I dont think Ive ever seen these before:oops:

Seriously...every time I go to get seedlings etc...Im like,....mmmmmmnow which one?:roll:

So rounded leaves...smooth edge is fine....called English Pot Marigold!

You know - Ive grown the ones with the segragated leaves before and fed them:shock::(

thankyou!

Hope all this helps!:D

you know....Ive never seent his english pot marigold before! Ive only ever grown the african ones....can anyone (Thumps Judy) tell me why they are not great for buns?:wave:

:lol::lol: aww bless him! One of my two love mint, so I'll post in the diet section I think.

Does anyone know what type of tree has these leaves?
IMG-20110814-00115.jpg

It was dusk so the colours came out a bit funny because of the flash, theyre actually a light duller green, not bright like you see. I thought it looked like willow but wasnt sure...

Foragers I need some help.

Drying herbs and plant bits and bobs. Would putting them on a towel in the airring cupboard work to dry them out? Or would that be too much heat?

Back