• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need a hutch or a run

Hi Warren,
I see don’t see a problem designing and building a internal hutch.
I am going to sit down tonight and do some designing.
I appreciate any feedback/comment/views good or bad from pet owners like yourself, as it helps me provide the products what people are looking for.

For example, My kitten breeding boxes and pen was requested by a cat breeder, She give me a rough size, and I designed it - I have had brilliant feedback from the breeders I have sold them to. – They say they are perfect.

I will be looking at updating my website within the next couple of weeks.
I will post on this forum when its done!

Any ideas will be carefully considered.

Kind Regards
Dave

pS - I did just remove the sizing guide.

You've been given great advice above!:wave:

Just like to add that if you're going to advertise anything on RU you have to become a forum supporter. :)

I got my hutch from Ryedale hutches (Someone's posted the link) and they charged me an extra £30 for delivery. They delivered it themselves. For the quality of the product I was happy to pay this fee! :)

I do hope I didn't offend you with my comments about the size guide :oops: I'm not one to knowingly be rude! Thankyou for taking it off the website :D A lot of books suggest hutch sizes we'd all cringe at listed as being acceptable :? I guess it's a personal preference thing. I'm sure people would buy smaller hutches but here on RU, the general feeling is that our bunnies homes should at least meet the requirements of the RWA.

I think it's brilliant that you're researching your product market too :wave: Maybe us nutty bunny lot could help you with some information/pet care pages to put on your website?!

I'd be first in line to buy a big, well made hutch from a supplier that has taken the time to learn about bunny needs... but I dread to think what postage to the Isle of Wight would cost! :lol:

Hint: rabbit runs 6x6 and bigger with lids are very difficult to buy:wave:

Ohh, and I second this hint! I've been looking for a big run so I can leave my continental giant outside safely when I'm not around. I have a 6X4 run but it's too small for him - his head touches the roof :shock: At the moment, he free ranges when I'm out in the garden too - which is nice but he always looks so sad when I put him back in the shed again.

Well I don't understand that, the hutches are the same size that you can buy in any normal pet shop, and if anything my runs are bigger.

Unfortunatly a 6' x 2' x 2' hutch couldn't be shipped ready made at a reasonable price due to the size.

All my products are very strudy!

I will look into the sizes further and design some flatpacked ones!

I value your comments

Kind Regards
Dave

Have a trip round P@H at some point. They have made huge improvements recently to their hutch sizes. They are not perfect but their 4ft x 2ft hutch says on it "suitable for a pair of guinea pigs or a single rabbit" and most stores (can't vouch for all) then go on to say rabbits should be kept in pairs thus the 4ft x 2ft is not suitable for rabbits.

However, their run sizes do leave a lot to be desired. Rabbits are really active creatures much like a cat. No one in their right mind would think of shutting a cat in a 3ft x 2ft box all of it's life and expect it to be well adjusted.

Anyway, rant over I can definitely appreciate what you are doing and good luck with the business. If you take on board the advice here I'm sure it will all take off.

Why not contact a local rescue and try and get them to send prospective new owners to you for accommodation. That way you can make the correct sizes for indvidual rescue and if local it shouldne't be that hard to post/deliver/get people to collect especially if flat packed.

Hi all,
Thank you for all comments advise. its all been taken onbroad.

#Warren - give me I of W postcode and I do a price check out of interest!
I have just posted to the western isles (north scotland) - that was 18.00.

Kind Regards
Dave

:lol: It's Georgie... The 'Warren' bit is just a kind of name thing you get on RU, it's to do with how many times you've posted on the forum. It say's 'New Kit' under your user name because you're new :) Then it'll change to 'Young Bun' when you've posted a few more times etc etc. ;)

My postcode is PO36 8QP. In terms of the Royal Mail, we're classed as mainland Britain but independent couriers charge more because of the ferry cost. I find a lot of online companies will try and charge me £50+ for delivery on anything over 20kg :shock: (I looked into ordering a small parrot cage for my budgies the other day, postage was more than the cage! :shock:).

Sorry Georgie, - I didn't know.
My couriers quoting £49.00 but royal mail is stating £15.00 for parcel upto 20kg.
A 5 x3 run weighs 14kg so a 8'sq run may come up just under the 20kg mark!

Big difference in the price.

Kind Regards
Dave.

It might be best if you described your current rabbit hutches as guinea pig hutches for now.

Sorry if that sounded a bit rude

Sorry Georgie, - I didn't know.
My couriers quoting £49.00 but royal mail is stating £15.00 for parcel upto 20kg.
A 5 x3 run weighs 14kg so a 8'sq run may come up just under the 20kg mark!

Big difference in the price.

Kind Regards
Dave.

:wave: S'ok! Just wanted to point it out before you started calling everyone Warren! ;):lol:

Do the Royal Mail have sizing limits on parcels? When trying to order my budgie cage, I told the supplier that the IOW was considered mainland by the RM and they told me they couldn't post anything longer than 4ft with the Royal Mail. :? They were probably trying to fleece me though! :lol:

Incidentally, I got the cage from a different website in the end, they posted it for me for free :)

I'd just like to say it's great to hear someone who makes what look like great hutches actually taking advice regarding size, you are definitely in the minority and could change the lives of lots of bunnies for the better! :thumb:

:wave: S'ok! Just wanted to point it out before you started calling everyone Warren! ;):lol:

Do the Royal Mail have sizing limits on parcels? When trying to order my budgie cage, I told the supplier that the IOW was considered mainland by the RM and they told me they couldn't post anything longer than 4ft with the Royal Mail. :? They were probably trying to fleece me though! :lol:

Incidentally, I got the cage from a different website in the end, they posted it for me for free :)

For standard parcel service they have a 4' limit, but how I understand it parcel force worldwide take longer items, but it alot more dearer, think they stated £39.00 on that run price.

Kind Regards
dave

Back