• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How soon can a bun become pregnant again?

Neil-and-Maria

Warren Veteran
How soon can a bun become pregnant again having just given birth?

I have a friend (really :roll:) who bought 2 Pets At Home male bunnies and now has a litter.

If she has the male done it needs to be at least 6 weeks before they are allowed back together I think? Can the mum be done while she has young babies?

As all of ours are neutered I know nothing about the babies, gestation periods or anything.

Maria x

Does can become pregnant again immediately after giving birth if mounted by a buck. Which is bad news if that has been allowed to happen as another litter will appear in 28-31 days time.

The mum can only really be spayed once her babies are weaned and have left her, so 8 weeks after birth as otherwise the babies will be deprived of their milk if not yet weaned and mum will get very stressed being separated, and the babies could pull the stitches out when attempting to feed and introduce infection.

Buck can be reintroduced 4-6 weeks after castration but make sure the babies are out of the way first.

I'd be writing a letter to P@H to cover the cost of housing the babies, feeding them all and having the pair neutered if I were them.

Tell your friend to get in touch with head office and not the branch as head office will provide another hutch and pay for the males neutering

If the female is also done you only need to wait until both are healed up not the full 4-6 weeks.

If the male was still in with the female when she gave birth then it's quite likely she is pregnant again and will deliver 4 weeks after the first lot. You can't do an emergency spay on a nursing mum so there isn't much you can do except crosss your fingers. Mum can be neutered one the last litter is weaned.

Tam

Thanks for all your replies :D:wave:

More questions..

How soon will the babies become fertile and need to be split up?

When will they all start to fight?

After 6 weeks (post neuter) can dad go back with them or not?

Im about to phone my friend. We went to school together and have just linked up again through facebook but we havent actually spoken until today! Just sent virtual gifts and invites etc.

Dont even know what kind (breed) of rabbits they are, indoor / outdoor etc. Just hope I dont come over as too rabbit mad, they should be this, that, the other, etc.

Thanks again

Maria x

Last edited:
Babies should leave mum at 8-10 weeks as they'll be fully weaned by then plus mum will want her space.

Babies need to be split by 12 weeks at the latest to prevent bucks fighting and trying to mount the does, the does shouldn't be fertile at that age but stranger things have happened, the bucks will most likely be fertile at that age.

I personally wouldn't put the dad with the babies, but he can go back with the mum once the babies have left her providing he's neutered 4-6 weeks prior. Though it's best to get mum spayed once the babies have left her (8-10 weeks) and wait for her to heal before putting them back together to reduce the chances of her attacking him.

If she shows signs of having another litter, i.e starts nesting again or acting aggressively to the babies 20-35 days after first giving birth then another litter is imminent and the first litter will need to be weaned early.

Mum cannot support two litters at once so the first litter will need to be removed from her. :(

I have just spoken to her. She has had the bunnies for 15 months already :shock: but this is the first accident. There are 4 babies 2 of which are already spoken for if they survive. :D The buns are a male french lop and a female lionhead.

I have directed her to the forum and this thread in particular.

Pets at home have agreed to neuter the male. I have said that it is also a good idea to spay the female for health reasons but didnt go into too much detail. We havent spoken in 15 years and the only words exchanged were about rabbits :oops::roll::lol::lol: Fingers crossed that she isnt pregnant again already.

Other advice for a first time mum very welcome.

Maria x

Back