• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paving Slabs in run???

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I emailed Briar Patch Rescue about rabbit care and they said that if the run was going to be on grass, they said to put some paving slabs in the run. Why is this? Is it because it files their nails down? Thanks.

I keep mine on concrete as they can dig a 2' tunnel in about an hour :shock:

Slabs or concrete are also easier to clean and disinfect (ever tried cleaning grass?) and nice and cool to lie on in summer too, if the run's shaded :)

thanks. i was planning to keep them on grass so that they could eat as much grass as they wanted. if there are paving slabs out, they won't be able to eat the grass.

My run is on paving slabs, they have a seperate run that is on grass which i use when im there to supervise them. I wouldn't leave them in a grass run permanently though as their likely to dig out or something else dig in.

they'll be in the hutch during the night, which'll be on legs. the run is separate which'll be on grass, which they will be in for 6 hours a day. then they have free-range of the garden for approx. 2 hours a day(under supervision).

Personally I wouldnt let rabbits 'live' on the grass, but having a separate run for grass time excercise and munching is far better. As Elve said cleaning is much easier and you can always disinfect concrete or slabs. Also, when that patch of grass has been eaten or dug or totally pooed on you'll need to keep moving it and draggin a big hutch and fixed run aint easy.... its about as easy as cleaning grass!:lol:

The bottom of my runs look like this, with bark chippings over the wire mesh. They can then dig away to their heart's content, but safely!

DSCN0826.jpg

They also have a separate run for supervised access to grass.

We also have paving slabs under the run. It is much easier to keep clean and safer regarding foxes. I have a new run now which will be on grass, but they will only go in it when the weather is ok and I am watching them. I would not suggest free range of the garden, unless you are sure that there are no harmful plants and that you will actually be able to catch them again. And if the dog is not chasing them.

happyhutch.jpg

But don't you fins they can get burns on the skin from the urine? It doesn't soak away like on grass. This happened to me, the area was kept clean but she got burns on her legs, maybe she did big wee's!

Mine are all litter trained. They are in their enclosures 24/7, so their litter trays are where the buns decided they wanted to pee!

I have my runs on slabs for the buns protection :D They will probably dig out on grass and also the cat next door digs under the fence to come in, so I wouldnt risk it if things can dig in :D

My set up is the same as Bavarian Bunny's, and they go upstairs to use a litter tray in the hutch part, even if they were downstairs in the run. They also have a grass run accesible from the hutch via a cat flap under supervision, which they dont use a litter tray in - they will pee and poo out there. Plus from the grass run they have access to my house via a cat flap, so depending on where I want them, I can shut them in/out of various bits. In the house they also quite happily use a litter tray.

Back