• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beau has eaten a whole houseplant - he is ok :)

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
And we dont know what it was :cry: My mums friend brought her a houseplant in a pot from B&Q yesterday and she brought it home last night and put it on the little table behind the door in the living room. She just went in to get it and it is now just a pot of soil :shock: He must have jumped up onto the table and eaten it and then gone back over to his corner because the pot hasnt moved. My mum has no idea what it was she said it was just green and leafy, she had a few drinks and didnt pay much attention when she was given it :? She has called the girl who gave her the plant but nobody has answered yet, so she can ask what it was.

Are most houseplants posionous? He seems fine in himself right now but to be honest I didnt know it was in there and he could have only eaten in 10 minutes ago. Please can someone just tell me that it sounds like a safe plant :cry: I know it could probably be anything though :?

Please dont have a go at me or anything I always make sure the room is safe for him and as far as I knew there was nothing on that table except magazines, plus my mum arrived home after I had gone to bed so it wasnt there when I checked last night anyway :cry:

Last edited:
Oh Becky, you poor thing....you must be SO worried!!!:cry: :cry:

If your Mum's friend doesn't know what the plant was either, maybe she still has the receipt from B&Q somewhere....then even if it doesn't have the actual name of the plant on it, there should be some kind of code so that the store could tell her what it was if she took it in to them.

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed that it turns out to be a harmless one. Let us know how he is doing.:cry:

I am so worried :cry: He is jumping about the room like usual and playing. I have emptied his litter tray so I can monitor poops easier. And he has just come running over for a papya tablet and eaten some oat hay so he is eating at the moment.

Yeh thats what my mum said, if she has the receipt we should be able to find out what it was. It doesnt have a label or anything on the pot and she has tried calling this girl a few times now but she may be at work :( Hopefully she will know what she brought.

My mum has been told off and she feels terrible and cant beleive she did that, she said she just didnt think :( She went in and put it on the table then sat down with Beau for some nose rubs and didnt even think about the plant when she went to bed :(

dont worry- he will be fine im sure! just give him lots of liquid and food to help flush it through! also keep massaging his tum as leaft plants can give bad wind and bloat so make sure no bloatiness there!

just try and flush him out! try a large amount of fruit juice- maybe giving him the runs will help? Im not sure there?

I don't think anyone would have a go at you or your mum, Becky, sometimes things happen that given a chance we would change, all you can do is keep an eye on Beau. Fingers crossed he has no ill effects.

Neil

Thanks guys im ready for tummy rubs if he needs them, they usually get their bunny massages on a Sunday anyway :lol: I have given him some pellets and he has gotten all excited and emptied them on to the floor to eat :roll: :lol: My mum is in there with him going im sooooo sorry my love and kissing his little head :roll: :lol:

If I were you I think I would give the Vet a call. It may be a good idea for Beau to be given a charcoal based substance to try to prevent any toxins being absorbed by the GI tract.
I would not advise giving him fruit juice as the sugar in it will make a potential problem worse.
The Vet may want to administer fluid therapy too as some plants are nephrotoxic (damage the Kidneys)

Please keep us updated

Janex

If I were you I think I would give the Vet a call. It may be a good idea for Beau to be given a charcoal based substance to try to prevent any toxins being absorbed by the GI tract.
I would not advise giving him fruit juice as the sugar in it will make a potential problem worse.
The Vet may want to administer fluid therapy too as some plants are nephrotoxic (damage the Kidneys)

Please keep us updated

Janex

Thanks Jane will give them a call now :D When you say charcoal based substance do you mean like the charcoal cobs you can get from bunnybasics? :oops: I have some of those that I can give him. I wouldnt give fruit juice my buns only drink water anyway :D

Thanks Jane will give them a call now :D When you say charcoal based substance do you mean like the charcoal cobs you can get from bunnybasics? :oops: I have some of those that I can give him. I wouldnt give fruit juice my buns only drink water anyway :D

can you crush the charcoal cobs and mix with a bit of water maybe- thats similar to what the vets have- like a coal - "drink" :D yummy

Do ring your vet but try not to worry too much. when I was a kid my rabbits always had free range of the garden...... its only now I realise my parents had a whole range of poinonous plants but thank goodness my bunnies always chose to eat the safe ones, fingers crossed he'll be ok, but keep an eye on him and takes your vets advice. BTW I dont have ANY houseplants these days, with buns, cats and kids, its not worth the hassle or worry!

my mom used to keep her guinea pig and rabbit together underneath a clematis - bits were sticking in the run etc. They never chose to eat them (and if they did they were never ill)- only now ive discovered that they are really poisonous.

They unually will not touch what they arent supposed to eat, there are loads of poisonous plants in the wild and wild buns dont touch them- its instinct

Do ring your vet but try not to worry too much. when I was a kid my rabbits always had free range of the garden...... its only now I realise my parents had a whole range of poinonous plants but thank goodness my bunnies always chose to eat the safe ones, fingers crossed he'll be ok, but keep an eye on him and takes your vets advice. BTW I dont have ANY houseplants these days, with buns, cats and kids, its not worth the hassle or worry!

Thanks :D We never really have houseplants anyway, we have one of those lucky bamboo things in the kitchen but the buns cant reach it and thats about it :D

my mom used to keep her guinea pig and rabbit together underneath a clematis - bits were sticking in the run etc. They never chose to eat them (and if they did they were never ill)- only now ive discovered that they are really poisonous.

They unually will not touch what they arent supposed to eat, there are loads of poisonous plants in the wild and wild buns dont touch them- its instinct

Yeh when we first got Buu we had a few poisionus plants in the garden and she never bothered with them at all, they were removed as soon as I joined here though :lol:

The vet is going to pop round here as its on his way to the surgery :D Should be about half an hour he just told me to keep a close eye on him and check how his tummy feels, it feels normal to me

awwwwwwww i hope hes going to be ok

now i know why i dont do plants the only ones here are tomoatoes and cape daiseys th rest are in a pot that i can move

I'm sure Beau will be OK Becky - try not to beat yourself up about it - these things happen. Look forward to hearing how he is after the vet has been :wave:

Back