• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding stubborn buns! U/D It's LOVE!!

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Right well I am bonding Laura Y's bunnies this weekend - Bob and Bun. They're both extremely cute. I have had them since 11am this morning and I don't think we have got very far.

Bun seems to be incredibly stubborn. Bob is always the one to approach her and then when she goes to even sniff him he jumps out of his skin. Bun makes no attempt to go near bun at all - I take it this is her dominance taking definate hold! She is a frenchie and he is a small white bun so not sure if it's size or age (she is older) that is encouraging the dominance or its just her personality.

They're both neutered and have been for a long time. We had some progress where Bob sat next to Bun and went to lie down next to her but Bun got up and has fallen asleep in the litter tray.

They're now both chilling. Should I wake them up as I cannot see them getting much bonding done by sleeping or should I just leave them. I have all day today and tomorrow but I have to go to work on Monday and was hoping they're be bonded by then and can just be left alone together.

Any advice? They have had a couple of scraps where Bun has pulled out Bob's fur but nothing else.

Shiv

Last edited:
I would think that them sleeping next to each other is a positive! Some rabbits bond instantly but I've found that to be quite rare. A small amount of fur-pulling is to be expected, it's the full-on fighting you should avoid. Hope it continues to go relatively well :D !

Neil

I would think that them sleeping next to each other is a positive!
Neil

Thats just the thing though - they're not. Bob attempted to lie down next to her once but then she moved away and went to sleep in the litter tray and he was the other side of the room. He is doing a bit of thumping now - I think there is a bit of a dominance struggle.

I am glad there some fur pulling cos at least they're doing something. Have my water spray to stop it escalating into something nasty though which has worked so far. Maybe I am spraying them too soon into the fur pulling/chasing stuff?

I hope it gets better by this time tomorrow. Will keep posting.

Thanks

Shiv

We appear to have a bunny stand off! I did have them up in my spare room but I really needed to make dinner and hoped they're be better by now but they're not so I brought them down to my kitchen in a PWS run. They are just stuck down one end staring eachother out and every so often going nose to nose demanding a groom but neither will budge!!! I guess it's just a waiting game now eh? I do think Bun (frenchie) is more dominant than Bob but he won't give in.

Here is the stand off:
standoff.jpg

Here is them earlier upstairs in the spare room:
layingnext.jpg

They are moving around. She will not tolerate him anywhere near her back end and gets a nip if he does. I have no idea how any humping could ever take place as they're just so tetchy.

Is it looking positive though? It's taking sooo long compared to my two!

Shiv

I think it is looking pretty hopeful judging by the body language in the 2nd pic. Hang on in there:lol:

If this is your first day of bonding, then this sounds very positive. It doesnt matter if they are ignoring each other as long as they are not fighting. On day one fighting is negative, anything else is positive, the one thing you cannot do with bonding is to rush things, everything is done at the rabbits own pace.

Many rabbits will run if the other comes up behind them just incase the other nips them, this is all very normal and will settle if you give them plenty of time, this could even be days with some rabbits. Just go with them, be patient and keep them together and you will get there.

Thank you all for your comments. I suppose I am still a bit inexperienced with bonding and this situation is quite different to my own - its very hard not to want them to be friends straight away!!!

They have definately improved. They stayed in the kitchen last night and I slept on the sofa in the lounge. They only had two very breif scuffles. This morning they're nice and lively. No scuffles. Going near eachother A LOT and all that happens is they BOTH lower their heads for a groom! Still no budging - these are certainly very stubborn buns!

I was going to cheat by putting banana or jam on their heads to get the other to lick it off but it doesn't appear that either of them like them anyway. HEy ho the waiting game continues. I am more than happy to have them here as long as it takes so long as I can still go to work on Monday :) I think they will be fine on their own now - One of them just needs to groom the other and I think we're almost there! :D

Thanks again

Shiv

Well, they are home with me now :) After Shiv's hard work, they seem to be getting on

I've got them in a pen in the dining room, and there's a lot of 'lying down next to each other' going on. I think the car journey may have brought them together a bit more

I just hope that they will be ok during the night!

But I am a very happy bunny right now :rabbit2:

In answer to your pen size question mandy, I have the same one with me now, and it's approx 6ft by 3ft

The night was ok, I only heared one scuffle. I don't think I've ever jumped out of bed so fast in my life lol

Bob is still refusing to groom her. Every time he hops past her, she lowers her head , and he ignores it. Maybe he is just being thick haha

Anyone know of anything I can put on her head to get him to take interest? I've tried -

banana
bunny yogurt drops
honey
peanut butter
jam
melon

I hope things are improving with the naughty buns! Well actually Bob is the naughty one as he is quite obviously the less dominant of the two but he just won't give in - tut!

Keep us posted Laura!

Shiv

Well, I went to work today, and they were all alone for 10 hours! I was anxious all day

But I came home to a nice, peaceful house :D I even think I saw Bob give Bun a slight lick to the eye lid last night!!

I will give them one more day in the house, and then try them in the newly refurbished mansion on Thursday

Well, I went to work today, and they were all alone for 10 hours! I was anxious all day

But I came home to a nice, peaceful house :D I even think I saw Bob give Bun a slight lick to the eye lid last night!!

I will give them one more day in the house, and then try them in the newly refurbished mansion on Thursday

Oooo how exciting!!! OOOooo I hope Bob has finally come to his senses! I want to see piccies when they finally go into their new house!!!

I've already text Shivvy to tell her the good news, but I am saying it here too

Bob has finally given in, and I've seen him grooming her :D they are lying down together, eating from the same bowl, and just generally getting along!!

I'm so happy

That's brilliant news! I'm so sorry I abandoned the thread ShivyRex, you did a great job :D !

Neil

No worries Neil - your advice was very appreciated!

Fab news Laura. I am so chuffed! Maybe I will come to yours to collect my run and pet carrier and then I can see them in thier own house together!

Congrats!

Shiv, buns & Snowy

Oh yes, that might be a good idea - see your match making for real!!

They have not left each other alonefor the last 24 hours :D They sit with each other, groom each other (yes, I think she has groomed him because the sticky mess he had on top of his head dissappeared over night!), eat together, sleep together

Awww, it's love :love:

Oh yes, that might be a good idea - see your match making for real!!

They have not left each other alonefor the last 24 hours :D They sit with each other, groom each other (yes, I think she has groomed him because the sticky mess he had on top of his head dissappeared over night!), eat together, sleep together

Awww, it's love :love:

YAYYYYY soooo happy!!! My sleeping on the couch was definately worth it!! Can wait to see them! Let me know when you move them into their house!

Back