• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! sick bunny who also has pooey brown bum :(

we found out my rabbit has pnemonia a few days ago and she is having medicine for it, but before that she also had a really pooey brown bum. we've tried washing it but it doesnt really make a difference. we have also had to cut some of the fur that has poo stuck to it - i dont know if this was a good or a bad thing to do? what is the best way to clean this all up? we have another bunny who doesnt have any of these problems, and she doesnt have diahorrea (sp!) or anything like that. the vet didnt really comment on it when he saw her but i would really like to know how to clean it all up. she also has a few bald patches but i don't think they have lice or anything?? helllpppp!!!! im sooo worried about my bunny!

Baby wipes are good for cleaning bottoms.

What food is your rabbit eating? Have you tried just feeding hay and veg for a few days to see if the poo-bum stops??

You bun is also at risk of dehydration, is she drinking?

Nicola

yes she is drinking, i thought feeding veg would only make it worse as it would make her poo softer? at the moment she just has hay and excel pellets. maybe part of it is that she can't clean herself very well because of her runny nose etc? it just never seems to get any cleaner and im a bit worried about the bald patches although they're quite small.

Excel pellets are notorious for causing pooey bums. It did in most of mine.

I feed Science Selective now, or Allen and Page is another good pellet.

If you feed small pieces of spring green, carrot, brocolli etc Hard veg and give unlimited hay you should hopefully see an improvement

Nicola

yes she is drinking, i thought feeding veg would only make it worse as it would make her poo softer? at the moment she just has hay and excel pellets. maybe part of it is that she can't clean herself very well because of her runny nose etc? it just never seems to get any cleaner and im a bit worried about the bald patches although they're quite small.

Where are the bald patches?

How old is your bunny? Has she been given antibiotics for her "pneumonia" and how long has she been on them? Did they give you a probiotic to put in her water?

she has some stuff in a syringe she has twice a day and some powder in her food. she also had a jab at the vets. the bald patches are near her bum area but nowhere else. she's never really had a pooey bum before and shes always been on excel pellets, our other bunny is fine.

If she has had the pooey bum for the same time she has hd the ab's then i would put it down to those if she has always been fine on excel, although they are known for causing sticky poos other than the normal ones. Make sure she is fed ad lib hay and hard veg, and see if you can ask your vet for soem probiotics for her xx

Are you using any rabbit shampoo? I my Bunny's bum this morning and it helped. We also used wet wipes as cloths. They are ideal as they can be thrown away each time you get some poo off. After we dried with paper towels.

Sounds like it could be the medicine causing it. Have you spoken to the vet about it?

Hope she recovers really soon.

Sorry to hear that your Bun is poorly :cry:

Is the poo actual diarrhoea or is it squashed caecotrophs (the soft poo Buns are supposed to eat straight from their bum)
If it is diarrhoea then its VERY important you let your Vet know as it can become serious for a bun, especially if it is the result of treatment with antibiotics.
If it is squashed/uneaten caecotrophs this may be a sign that your Bun has dental problems. Buns with molar spurs (sharp spikes on their back teeth) cant eat enough hay to keep their guts functioning well and they also find it difficult to keep themself clean.
Another reason for a Bun not being able to it his/her caecotrophs is pain in the spine/hips due to arthritis

I would advise you to take you Bun back to the Vets to discuss the above. It is particularly important to be vigilant of Flystrike with a Bun prone to a mucky bum

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/Flystrike.htm

Janex

Back