• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny falling over?

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
I've noticed over the past 2 or so weeks that Lucifer has a slight problem when turning round to clean her back - she seems as if she looses balance & has to quickly stop so she doesn't fall over. Tonight I've just watched her nearly bang her head on the floor as she was sat cleaning her ear, then nearly do it for a second time.

It seems - both from sight & having a feel - that one of her hips is slightly out, I've noticed this before.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why her hip might be like this (or if it might be her hip, or something else?), what can be done to help her. She's "normal" in all other ways, eating, drinking, hopping, running & jumping around!

could she have a dislocated hip? she would have needed some kind of trauma to cause it though, but is a possibility. I am used to dealing with cats and dogs with dislocated hips and they are usually caused by a fall or RTA (road traffic accident). Could she have fallen? You may not have noticed before and she may be getting around really well, as cats in particular seem to get around very well with a dislocated hip. Its a consideration. A vet would need to examine/xray to confirm. Another thing i thought is could she have had a stroke? That may account for her loss of balance, although i would prob expect to see other symptoms too (such as circling, lack of co-ordination). Maybe worth a visit to the vet as she needs an examination really. If she's happy, eating, drinking etc, prob nothing too serious so dont worry.

I would have thought she's too you to have a stroke, she's about 8/9 weeks. There's been nothing she could have fallen of either, she's in the front room & the only high things are her hutch and the sofa, she's never gotten up on her hutch & the one time she got on the sofa I watched her till I could see she wanted down & lifted her down. It's possible she "came" like this - I got her from pets at home & thought she felt a bit funny at the time but because she wasn't used to being held & stroked I couldn't really feel too much.

hmmm, if she only 8/9 weeks old, like you say, young for a stroke. Maybe she had an accident/was dropped at P@H or maybe she has something wrong with her development. I would pop her along to your vet so they can assess her. If its a growth/development problem, its better to get these things seen to sooner rather than later as there may be something they can do now, but if she grows like it, it may be too late. Dont mean to scare you by the way, it could be nothing to worry about at all! She may have even just bumped herself and have a bruised area that is sore.

1. She has a hip displacement/break or poorly healed old fracture
2. She has an ear infection which is putting her off balance
3. She has E Cuniculi which has affected her brain and balance or caused partial paralysis of the hind quarters.

Any of these scenarios require a vets trip.

A long while back (about 17 years ago, to be exact!) I had a big New Zealand White boy who was entirely loveable and a great character.....but he was, shall we say, a bit gormless!!!!!:roll: :lol: He used to lay on top of his little house in his run and sun himself every day that there was sun to be had......but during one such sun-bathing session he fell asleep and rolled off the side onto the ground! Now, it was ONLY about an 18 inch drop, and he landed on the grass. But he was struggling afterwards with sitting and things, so we rushed him to the vet. They discovered that he had a dislocated hip!:shock: They put it back in place and gave him analgesics and something for the swelling, and he had to have complete rest for two weeks (now THAT was a nightmare, I can tell you!!!:roll: ) I never would have believed that such a short drop to a soft surface could have dislocated a hip......so it's possible that your little bun could have done something similar and hurt hers too without you even knowing it.....and it could well of happened whilst she was still at P@H and they didn't notice it (or whatever!:roll: ) themselves. So I agree with the others, I would definately get her looked at just to make sure that nothing serious is going on there!:D

GOOD LUCK......and let us know how you get on!:D

Well, it wasn't a fall!

She has a genetic cataract in her right eye. You can see it in daylight (it's a white "spot") but the vet knocked the lights off & shone a torch in her eye & showed me the difference between between both eyes

He said there's nothing that can be done, which is understandable.

I'm off now to post & see if anyone has any tips for me...

Back