• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I have found something in the benjamins bum - need help - Pictures

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
After cleaning the litter trays earlier and doing the daily bum checks, i found two little tiny white weird things in the benjamins bum. I removed them and took a photo. His bum is very clean, no signs of any eggs or anything, and these stood out on his black fur, so are these worms?

I am sorry if they are gross. Oh and when i removed them, they had what looked like a very small black eye.... probably wasn't an eye.

STA72066.jpg

STA72067.jpg

STA72079.jpg

STA72081.jpg

STA72084.jpg

Could someone please tell me what they are... i only saw two... they both had black eyes so i am guessing they were living at one point... they shrivelled up when i removed them.

They look like they could be fly eggs. I'd go over his coat with a comb to make sure there aren't any more just in case.

Oh no!! :cry: :cry: They're really long though! Right i am off to give him a groom. I am very worried now.

I do not use rearguard, but i am considering it now.

I don't know what fly eggs look like so Tamsin could be right and I'd defo take her advice in case - but they look like dead pin worm to me [are they about 1cm long?] which means all of your buns will need worming treatment like panacur.

Edit: I just googled to see what fly eggs look like - you could do the same if you're not feeling squeamish - it's difficult to tell from your picture though :-/

Last edited:
I think they are fly eggs. I am really upset and annoyed, as i check them bums every day and i clean litter trays every day. I have just checked every bun again, all over this time and there isnt any signs of any more. The benjamin doesnt get a sticky or dirty bum and doesnt have a lot of fur down there anyway, thats why its weird.

I dont know what to do now... should i rearguard or not as i dont want this to happen again. argH!!

Fly eggs look like grains of rice I thought? Those do look like dead worms - why not ask your vet tomorrow, and you can pick up some rearguard if he agrees it's fly eggs?

They couldnt be dried maggots could they? its quite hard to tell from the pics...they look like shrimp :shock:

Flatworms?? Defo not fly eggs, as elve said they are like small grains of rice and usually laid in a larger cluster.

Im majorly confused now, i thought they were fly eggs... could someone get me some decent pictures of these worms and fly eggs and i will be able to tell you. They had what looked like a black eye, ive thrown them away now...

I've been looking at pictures of pinworm on google....

PIN15.JPG

the ones that affect rabbits.... and look it has an eye type thing... it was also shaped like that, had a thin bit at one end... I just did some more bum checks but i couldnt find anymore. Ive also checked their poo and nothing...

I wouldn't have a second thought. I would go straight over to the vets (without a appointment) and just show the pics and take a piece of poo with you and give it to the receptionist and she'll take it back to ask someone about what it may be and they will sell you something for what ever it is to take care of it. I'm thinking it's tapeworm? I don't know.

Rearguard

hi everyone

just to say ive always used Rearguard every summer with my bun and never had a problem with flystrike. i might have been lucky, but my bunny is a bit pooey and im always having to clean his bum so i think rearguard is worth the money.

They now have panacur paste, vet had to order it in though so can't get it until tomorrow :? :?, i9day course im going to get some rearguard too as i am panicking. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. :D

Hi there

I may be wrong, and it's probably best you've been to the vet's to get it checked out. But rabbits (girls definitely but maybe boys too) secrete some stuff from around their bottoms/bits. This can harden in the creases. Were the long thin creamy coloured things stuck in the fur on either side of his/her bum? Like hardened ear wax? This would have been my guess, and I don't think it means the bun is dirty.

Hope all is ok anyway:D

Anna x

Just bumping this up...

I had to work late tonight and when I got home I let the buns out, changed the litter trays etc. However when I did the usual bum checks, I found two things in Jen's fur near her bum absolutely identical to those in oscarbunny's pictures.

What are they :?

I remebered this thread and gave both a good groom, but found nothing.

They are both eating as normal and were running around as normal. I rang the vet but they didn't seem too concerned as both bunnies are fine in themselves :?

They were both panacur'ed in late Feb / early March.

I don't know what to do... :? I'm worried sick :(

Hmm, read through a load of threads on here, looked at pictures of fly eggs and yep, looks like the things I found were pin worms :(

I'll call the vet about Panacur first thing. I wonder if they can have another dose so soon after the last lot :?

Bunnies, love them but urgh, they are very stress inducing at times :(

Back