• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ivermectin is it licensed now for use ?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
just wondering..as the beaphar drop on stuff is sold for buns and piggies.But is it atually fuly licensed on buns?
its just that ivermectin s related to selamectin and they both kil mites..selamectin gets rid of ear mites too..and kills fleas..

i ahve read on some us sites that selamectin is used n domestic buns although not actually licensed for it..REVOLUTION is used on buns and cats..our equivalent is STRONGHOLD..
i emailed pfizer for advice and to askif any trials were taking or had taken place for use n buns..they told me politely to go see my vet for appropraite treatment..oops.

just i think we have mites although theres no signof them or fleas on buns..berties going nuts and developing bald patches on back of his neck and willow and biff are both scratching a bit..

i cant see petra till wed at the earliest but ican se other vet..wil book a slot
but bifs the nervy one and im al over the place with hospital at the mo..it would be so much nicer to treat mites easily at home!

ah well vets open in 17 mins..wil make appointment.
just curious tho...

Ivermectin is usually the stuff given to treat mites and lice in small animals. I've used Beaphar Spot On for rabbits on my own rabbits when they had lice with no problems, it cured them.

I showed my vet at a later date and she was surprised that ivermectin was sold in a pet shop, but said she agreed with me that its cheaper than going to the vets when it treats it just the same!

Deb, I've had to have 5 rabbits jabbed with Ivermectim in the last couple of weeks.... I'm a dab hand at spotting mites now. The balding doesnt really show til its fairly established, but the dandruff is fairly obvious and they do scratch more. I'm highly allergic to mites of any kind (even if not bitten) and within a couple of hours of being near a mite infested animal, I'm itching like a crazy woman. You can just about see them with the nakes eye, if your eyesight is good, and justas extra punishment, I have a microscope,.... I dont advise using one tho cos it makes you feel sick!!! :lol:

I sprayed all the hutches (and carpets if indoors) at every cleanout with a hutch spray for mites (petshop stuff is cheaper and works really well) and put EVERYTHING in a sealed bin liner, or the buns can keep getting re-infected . Make sure your cats are up to date on their flea and mite protection too as they can live on them too.

It is a bit of a pain with the injections and would be interested to see how well the spot-on stuff works. Its just unfortnunate I'm soooo allergic, I have the same problem with Harvest Mites in the Autumn!

Hope your ok mate, speak to you soon. x:wave:

Your vets should inform you that Invermectin is not licensed for use in rabbits before administration as a legal disclaimer. However this does not mean it cannot be used on bunnies, simply that the company dosnt want to go through all the legislation and cost to license it for Rabbit use.

Back