• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

malocclusion

bunny_love

Young Bun
my poor Holland Lop has malocclusion! It's so sad, is there anything that might make it a bit better? Because her teeth are growing REALLY fast.

You can have mallocluded incisors removed :) If they're growing back quickly this is the fairest treatment - one operation and they're done forever (there is a slight chance that if a bit of root is missed some of them may grow back but it's just a slight chance)
I noticed a drastic difference in how much easier it was for my buns with malloclussion to eat hay and veg after having their incisors out - even a few days after Mary had his incisors burred down, he'd get loose fur etc stuck inbetween them and go off his hay after about a week. If they find it easier to eat more hay they're a lot less likely to get molar problems too :)

Is it molar malocclusion or incisors or both? How old is your Bun and when was the condition diagnosed?

Dental problems tend to fall into two main catagories, inherited (genetic) and aquired (as a result of a poor diet from a young age) Some breeds are also more prone to malocclusion, lops tend to have more problems.

Its hard to give specific advice without knowing more details but certainly a good hay/grass based diet is what all Buns need for healthy dentition. But if dental disease is advanced, especially if the tooth ROOTS are abnormal, then regular dentals will be required regardless of what Bun is fed.

Here are a couple of links that you may find helpful:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/dental_disease.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

Janex

Hi there. Our housebun Squidgy had maloccluded incisors, and we had them removed (5 years ago now) as they kept growing back very quickly. He has no problems with his molars so far. He has a normal diet, we just need to make sure his hay is cut up into smaller pieces, as are his veggies.

She's two years old. Her teeth have been a problem for just over a year. Her front teeth are the ones that have the problem. They have to get cut really often, more often than I would think usual. I think that it's an inherited trait, because she's always been taken really good care of, by me and by her previous owner. Should I get her teeth removed?

It's certainly worth asking about. Squigy certainly hasn't suffered because of his teeth.
Teeth problems are usually inherited, so it's not an indication of how well a bunny is looked after.

Incisors can often because misaligned because of an injury too - for example snapping a tooth or a knock to the face may cause a tooth to grow at a slightly wonky angle, and as this one grows it pushes on the one next to it and causes that to misalign too. These two no longer meet the opposite two correctly so they don't wear down as well as they should.
Sounds more like hereditary malloclussion if it's happening so fast though - Rex's were due to breaking a tooth and his grew quite slowly but I thought it was fairer to have them out when he was neutered anyway to save another op in the future or having them burred down. Mary's were inherited and he needed them burring down almost weekly before he had them removed :shock:

If the vet has to cut them too often, maybe you should consider having them removed. What's your vet's opinion on this?

It's done under anaesthetic, they will be a bit sore after the op so will probably prefer soft food like grated veg and pellets soaked in warm water for a day or two. Heals pretty quickly and they become very good at picking up pellets with their lips! They will need their veg cut down though :)

Does it hurt for the teeth to come out? Or will she not be able to eat as much?

Peppermint and Noah both had their front teeth removed (father and son trait). They were given a long lasting pain relief jab before they left the vets and they had sore mouths for a few days ( same as we would really). Both carried on eating aftwerwards, the only difference now is I chop all their veg up for them.:D :D

It's a little tender for them for a few days. Squidgy had pain killers and mushed up pellets and veg, but now he eats for England, and he's only a nethie!

Back