• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does any rabbit fully recover from E Cuniculi?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Am feeling very down about my bunnies at the moment, and am wondering whether it is possible for rabbits to fully recover from E Cuniculi. What with the difficulty of eradicating it in the first place, the fact that it reoccurs, and the permanent damage caused by the parasite, I'm wondering whether anyone has any good news stories about it. :)

Hi think Su (Cannonwoman) has a lovely bunny (?Kahlo) who has recovered well from EC. Hopefully she will see this!!

Fiona x

Hi think Su (Cannonwoman) has a lovely bunny (?Kahlo) who has recovered well from EC. Hopefully she will see this!!

Fiona x

Hi:wave: I`m here now:wave:

Yes my handsome Kahlo had EC back last summer & has made an amazing recovery:D
Initially he just had weakness in his hind legs but he then went on to have paralasis in them. We had him living in the house for about 2 mths, he had a 28 day course of panacur, steroids & antibiotics. For about the first 5 days i had to syringe feed him but then he gradually started eating on his own.
With his hindlegs i was doing regular physio to try & maintain some movement & muscles in them. He is a rew so had reduced eyesight anyway but when the EC hit it definately deteriorated more & we had to go back to using a water bowl as he could no longer find the bottle.
With medication & ongoing physio he was well & mobile enough to move back outside after about 2 mths, touchwood he hasn`t had any problems since.

he remained quite a lazy, laidback bunny but then in January i bonded him with Speckle.......................... Since then he has come on even more:D She seems to have taught him how to use a water bottle again & when i moved them into a double decker Kahlo was actually the 1st to work out the ramp.

i know from experience that Kahlo`s recovery is exceptional but hope it gives you some hope.

Su.x

All I can say is that if caight and treated early enough the signs are good, unfortunatley for me by the time the rescue buns come in the damage is usually permenant :cry:

Yes, unfortunately I think that's the case with mine - wasn't caught very early at all by the vets I saw before I changed. :(

Back