• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crystals ill again :( U/D 30th June got the blood test results

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
shes at the vets at 5pm. i went out to check on the rabbits and feed them etc. and ive noticed crystals gone through 600mls of water over night :shock: i filled up the water bottle and she dived straight at it for a drink when i put it back on her hutch :cry: i checked the bottle for leaks etc. but nothing im really worried and stressed i just want to go away and hide from all of this :cry:

Last edited:
Oh No. Poor You and poor Crystal. I know what you mean, I get really stressed if any of my buns (or my kids for that matter) are ill. I feel really like I can't cope with it and need to run away!
Sending lots of vibes for you and Crystal, hope she gets better soon x x x

If you can get one it maybe worth taking a urine sample with you, then they can test for Diabetes, all they have to do is dip a stick in the wee and it changes colour so its instant and free.

I've had a bun tested for this before because he drank loads of water, but he wasn't diabetic and was in perfect health, and his daughter is the same, so I guess they're just thirsty!

To get a urine sample I sat them on a plastic sheet, waited til they did a wee then siphoned it up with a pipette - glamourous hey? :lol: :roll:

just got back from the vets. Crystal was dehydrated so the water shes been gulping down is being eaten up by her body, the vet has taken a blood sample to test for kidney disease etc. and i need to take in a urine sample tomorrow morning. Crystal weighed 3.5lb last time she was down and is only 3lb now :cry: im really scared for her :cry: it didnt help when my dad turned round to me and said i cant believe you spend all that money on a £20 rabbit :shock: :cry: please send vibes to Crystal, i will get the blood test results tomorrow morning :(

well got the results which showed shes very anemic (sp) and has a high Glucose level (sp) i was unsuccessful in getting the wee sample :? so hes told me to try again tonight tomorrow and Monday morning and to take it down if im still unsuccessful to take her down and they'll keep her in during the day and get the sample that way as well as giving her another blood sample as sometimes rabbits glucose levels get high when their stressed. the vet did say at the moment it looks like Diabetes :(. i feel horrible doing all this to Crystal at the vets she kept climbing into my arms when the vet came near her with another injection :cry: the bill was huge as well :shock: but shes well worth it :D

aawwww i do hope they find out what is wrong with Crystal soon and manage to treat it with not too much stress for her

well got the results which showed shes very anemic (sp) and has a high Glucose level (sp) i was unsuccessful in getting the wee sample :? so hes told me to try again tonight tomorrow and Monday morning and to take it down if im still unsuccessful to take her down and they'll keep her in during the day and get the sample that way as well as giving her another blood sample as sometimes rabbits glucose levels get high when their stressed. the vet did say at the moment it looks like Diabetes :(. i feel horrible doing all this to Crystal at the vets she kept climbing into my arms when the vet came near her with another injection :cry: the bill was huge as well :shock: but shes well worth it :D

Aww bless, fingers crossed for her.

Is she litter trained? Could you not empty her litter tray completely and hope that she'll eventually go and pee in it, and then whisk the tray away quickly once shes done??

Poor Crystal!:( I hope she'll get well soon.
I had a rabbit who was detected with something looking like diabetes after an op and some days after, his sugar rate (hope it's correct:oops: ?) was still high and he drank a lot. But fortunately, things returned to normal after a couple of weeks and a strict diet.
I hope you'll be as lucky. *fingers crossed*

Back