• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dont like wood shavings

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Little Sammy doesnt really like the wood shavings in his hutch. After I clean the hutch I line with newsapaper then put woodshavings over it but Sammy always ends piling the wood shavings into a corner. Is there something else I could use? Mind you he does seem to like it this way.
Sometimes my bunnies move the papers in the hutch or tear them up, does that mean anything?

Rabbits do like rearranging the hutch to their taste so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just pile some hay up in the litter tray and let them do their housekeeping :lol:

Rabbits do like rearranging the hutch to their taste so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just pile some hay up in the litter tray and let them do their housekeeping :lol:

Good! I was worried incase it was a sign of boredom! I try to get them into their run as much as I can but on a rainy day like this I usually leave them.

Jack hates sawdust and hay in his tray :shock: He spends hours digging out the fresh and leaving the tray bare :roll: funny bunnies huh :lol:

Jack hates sawdust and hay in his tray :shock: He spends hours digging out the fresh and leaving the tray bare :roll: funny bunnies huh :lol:

Your telling me! You spend time cleaning it out then making all nice for them then they rearrange. I think one day I'll leave them the newspaper and bag of sawdust and hay so they can sort it themselves!

Is it alright that I dont replace the straw everyday? I put straw in their wee bedroom areas put to be honest they are hardly in there

Im a glutton for punishment and try andf fill it back up again :roll: :lol: Poor Dempsey just looks at Jack ! :shock: :lol:

its really annoying when I clean and make the bunnies house all nice and homely then about five mins later I can hear shredding, scratching and movement of litter trays... i come back and there is woodshavings everywhere, bits of newspaper flying about and litter trays empty...!

I then insist on moaning WHY oh WHY to them...try and shove some of the things back into a more tidy (ish) manner. But five mins later they do the same thing so I just huff and accept that they don't like to be tidy. psshhh. :D

xx

I don't use wood shavings any more. Had them for my indoor bunnies for a while, but they irritated their and my eyes. Most of the bunnies I have had prefer to sit on blank wood or plastic, they moved everything else into a corner. I've only had one bunny so far who preferred to sleep in her litter box. They all like to sit on top of a cardboard box, terracotta planter or log roll tunnel, though. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy and Emily do exactly the same. They spend each day digging out the entire contents of their tray!!

I don't use woodshavings anymore as it's thought that the phenols in most softwood shavings (unless they're kiln-dried but most products don't specify this or what wood they're made from) can affect how the liver works and how well it can deal with anaesthetics. Given the fact that operations are risky enough on animals I'd not like to risk housing them on something which could make it riskier, plus I find woodshavings very dusty anyway.
I use Ecopetbed, which is just corrogated card shredded into little squares. You can get it from places that sell horse bedding, or order it online. There's quite a few different companies that do it too, so you may find it under another name, e.g. Ecopet, SafeTBed, BedXcel, etc.

shredded paper

i also use shredded paper, when my shredder is full up, i use that to scatter along the bottom of the undercover run, the rabbits love chucking it about and burrowing underneath it.

Back