• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, when we took on 2 rabbits they came with a hutch. They apparently used to use their litter tray which was in the hutch but then stopped. They do use the tray but they are pooping & peeing all over the hutch. In both the sleeping & main area. I line the hutch with newspaper then wood shavings & soft hat on top. It’s quite a nightmare to clean. I wandered if fleece would be better like what you get for pigs to lie on? I want them to be comfy also & warm. My friend has a house rabbit & he always uses the tray even in the run. Any ideas on how to get them to toilet in one area. I read wild rabbits do this as they like it to be clean? Thank you for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, are they neutered/spayed? In my experience my rabbits have litter trained themselves after they've been neutered/spayed. Is the litter tray big enough for them both to sit in comfortably? Most people use an under bed storage container. Rabbits also like to eat and poop at the same time so good idea to fill with hay. I use fleece in my guinea pig cages but not sure how it would work with rabbits as they tend to be more likely to dig it up/move it around?? You may know already but it's specially made fleece with a wicking layer etc and still needs an absorbent layer underneath like puppy pads. Have you tried moving poops/soiled bedding into the tray to encourage them? Perhaps they are going wherever due to the wood shavings and hay everywhere, people recommend an absorbent layer topped with hay in litter trays and then just lino elsewhere in the hutch. Hope you get sorted :)

Hello, are they neutered/spayed? In my experience my rabbits have litter trained themselves after they've been neutered/spayed. Is the litter tray big enough for them both to sit in comfortably? Most people use an under bed storage container. Rabbits also like to eat and poop at the same time so good idea to fill with hay. I use fleece in my guinea pig cages but not sure how it would work with rabbits as they tend to be more likely to dig it up/move it around?? You may know already but it's specially made fleece with a wicking layer etc and still needs an absorbent layer underneath like puppy pads. Have you tried moving poops/soiled bedding into the tray to encourage them? Perhaps they are going wherever due to the wood shavings and hay everywhere, people recommend an absorbent layer topped with hay in litter trays and then just lino elsewhere in the hutch. Hope you get sorted :)

Hi, thank you so much for all the advice. I took them from my mum who got from people. They said they were spayed (both females & vaccinated) I will add a picture of the tray I have if you wouldn’t mind checking it is ok for them? They definitely both couldn’t fit in it at the same time. Also I was using wood pellets in the tray as that’s what my mum uses for her house rabbit & also the same kind of tray. He uses it all the time & is really good. I will take a picture of the hutch I have. Iv just ordered a new one like a house thing with a run attached & ramp to the house. I plan to then attach the hutch I have to that for extra space & a 8ft by 4ft run alo to the new run to make a bigger space. They have been free roam in the garden but had to stop as in learned through the forum it’s to dangerous. Think will give fleece a miss as never thought of the digging. They always like to dig in the hutch lol. I didn’t know you needed puppy pads under the fleece for pigs. I thought the fleece was ok itself. It is the proper special fleece for pigs I got made & ordered. They do use the tray but also all over the hutch & have been putting their poops/soiled stuff in there xx

Hi, thank you so much for all the advice. I took them from my mum who got from people. They said they were spayed (both females & vaccinated) I will add a picture of the tray I have if you wouldn’t mind checking it is ok for them? They definitely both couldn’t fit in it at the same time. Also I was using wood pellets in the tray as that’s what my mum uses for her house rabbit & also the same kind of tray. He uses it all the time & is really good. I will take a picture of the hutch I have. Iv just ordered a new one like a house thing with a run attached & ramp to the house. I plan to then attach the hutch I have to that for extra space & a 8ft by 4ft run alo to the new run to make a bigger space. They have been free roam in the garden but had to stop as in learned through the forum it’s to dangerous. Think will give fleece a miss as never thought of the digging. They always like to dig in the hutch lol. I didn’t know you needed puppy pads under the fleece for pigs. I thought the fleece was ok itself. It is the proper special fleece for pigs I got made & ordered. They do use the tray but also all over the hutch & have been putting their poops/soiled stuff in there xx

3a6fbd90511ce24328ec49db36295937.jpg

cf5f132d73b7670245069552ffca313f.jpg

ad84d82d39f938abc947e89e9dfbf05c.jpg

ee4d8ed2e99ff8811755439937f0213e.jpg

235914d4ede976bc270b54aebdd5640e.jpg

This is the picture of the house with run & extra run Iv ordered for them [emoji4]. I have included a pic of their current hutch which I will attach to the new home. I know it’s not ideal. Excuse pic of it as I’m cleaning it out. I also have the 8x4 foot run here to join on to the new ones. I hope that will be enough space for them to be out. They are in the house just now so took pic of the litter tray they have. Xx

Ok so I will try taking away wood shavings etc & put Lino in the hutch & hope they use the tray. The hutch as it is wouldn’t be big enough for a big tray in it. I’m worried if it’s just Lino they will pee all over it then be wet, would that happen? Xx

Back