• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does spaying REDUCE a does life span?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Someone suggested this to me recently and it seems pretty unlikely, but I just wondered what everyone else thought/experiences?

It was felt that spaying in some way weakens the doe :?

Maybe they were thinking about liver damage - lots of things damage a rabbit's liver - stress, eating mildly poisonous plants, starvation, and general anaesthetic. The damage is cumulative so doesn't make them drop dead immediately, it just adds up over the years.

I know no reason why it should reduce a rabbits life line, it certainly gets rid of the risk of developing uterine cancer, so in theory potentially increases the life span.

I think that's rot myself.

I can't see how removing a potentially life threatening and quite likely to develop problem will shorten a does life.

Unfortunately in the case of my 2 it may well prove to be true. :( As soon as they were spayed they developed problems, and my vet think that the E Cuniculi was probably triggered into its active form at the stress of the surgery. Of course, it may have started at any other time, but I will never know. :(

I think it can cause osteoporosis. At least rabbits are often used as 'guinea pigs' in tests for the condition in humans.

I try not to spay until the rabbit is fully grown (at least 8 months to a year old).

I think it can cause osteoporosis. At least rabbits are often used as 'guinea pigs' in tests for the condition in humans.

I try not to spay until the rabbit is fully grown (at least 8 months to a year old).

To be fair if they're in labs then the cramped conditions would probably cause osteoperosis.

To be fair if they're in labs then the cramped conditions would probably cause osteoperosis.

No, they induce the condition in rabbits on purpose. I'm not sure how, but it does prove that rabbits can suffer from it. I don't know if spaying can lead to the condition, but I would suspect so.

I don't think it's ever been investigated...unless anybody knows differently?

It's been proven that cramped conditions for battery hens causes osteoperosis due to the lack of movement they're allowed - I don't see why it'd be any different in rabbits but I can't say I know anything about the spaying link :)

Everything I've ever read says it increases the doe's life span not the opposite. Also makes her a happier bun - and happy buns is what we all want!!:D

Back