• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House and Litterbox Training questions

rabbitabby

Alpha Buck
I have some questions regarding litterbox training my rabbit.. So far he has been doing well! Here is what we have so far:

We have a small apartment with a large open living room/kitchen, with three adjoining rooms (Bedroom, Chinchilla Room, Bathroom). Those rooms have their doors shut in order to keep his "run space" small right now.

He has a large hutch with his litter and food that he goes in. So far we have not had any problems with him urinating outside of the hutch except for one occasion. He hasn't dropped any pellets/pills/poop outside of the hutch either.. so far I am very impressed.. (I am having more luck "training" my rabbit than I did with a previous canine!!)

We have been letting him out in larger and large increments.. we have gone up to 6 hours of run time with no elimination problems. However, the only occurance we have had, was the other evening when we left him out overnight (10 hoursish). He pottied in a corner by the bathroom door, twice. I was considering putting a litterdish there but it is in a spot right in front of the door basically. I cleaned the carpet and covered it with a small trashcan for the time being.

My question is, what else can we be doing to help his litter training? He has thus far been loyal to his hutch except for the other evening. Should we confine him to his hutch over the night while we are sleeping? Should we add other litterdishes?

He has not had any problems with digging or anything as of yet. The room as also about as BunnyProofed as it can be ;)

Thanks for any suggestions.. feel free to ask questions about anything else to help pinpoint or direct me to things to allow Crue to live with us happily in the house! :D

He sounds so well behaved compared to my bunnies :D

I would lock him up overnight, but be prepared to let him out early or he may thump.

:lol: Y'know, I have never heard him thump, EVER in the entire time I've had him! I keep waiting for this experience!!!

Hello :wave:

Sounds like you are doing very well. Have you been putting soiled paper in the litter tray after you clean it? If not this might explain the accident as they kind of need reminding where to go. Otherwise I don't know I'm afraid. Sounds like you are doing everything right. You could try cleaning the spot where he wee'd with white vinegar...that is supposed to prevent repeast accidents although it didn't work with mine.

Extra litter trays might help and did with mine. If it's a big area you could put one near where he had the accident and see if it helps him good luck :D

wow you have got him trained well! i have not trained my rabbit to do this yet as he is only in 1 room and he has a rubber mat but upon hearing your success im cosidering trying it now!

Well its good that I'm doing something right! From our understanding not all rabbits can be house trained so we weren't sure on how successful we would be..

Do you think it is necissary to add another litterdish or do you think that he pottied in the random corner due to it being dark out when we left him out while we were asleep?

Back