• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training Advise Needed !!!!!

beckys bunnies

Warren Scout
:wave: This might be a silly question :oops: :oops: :oops: But as anyone got any good tips on how to litter train ? and the best ideas to try?

Becky :oops: :roll:

ok, all i did was buy a really large cat litter tray and line it with newspaper and fill with fresh hay. The rabbits decided to use it of their own accord! You can put some droppings in to encourage them. Put it in a corner where the rabbit has already been using as a toilet as they like to choose their own spot!
I would then just line the rest of the hutch or cage with newspaper. If you put hay or straw anywhere else they will just get confused.

Mine have underbed storage boxes from Wilkinsons (Maa has a pink princess one! :D ) They have nice high sides, so the stuff doesn't get kicked out so much. I put megazorb in it (or you could use paper based or wood pellet based cat litter NOT clay, ) and because the box is so big I put a bundle of hay at one end of the box - they sit in the box and the poo comes out the other end while they munch. They like to sift through all the hay, which keeps them busy and happy, and pushes the rejected hay to the back of the tray where it covers up all the poop! :D

And then there's Maa, who decided to become un-litter trained a couple of months ago, just because :roll:

Last edited:
Hi, my book tells me (and it worked for me!) to place a number of boxes around the room and keep the rabbit confined to that room until he learns to use it. For the first week or two i placed just one litter box, with no joy. Henry just didnt get it! After reading the book, it said to place at least two boxes cos then they will groom themselves and sit in one box, then poo in the other. I placed another litter tray in the room and by the next day he had got the hang of it! It worked like a dream! Once you discover which box he likes, you can usually cut down until there is just the one box. Then you can allow him in another room. You may need to start the process of putting down a number of boxes again, however, henry didnt need this and now there is just one litter tray in the whole house and thats in his cage in the kitchen. Good luck!

I got a nice little corner one for mine. Put some litter stuff in and he used it straight away. I didn't even have to put any droppings in there. He has a few accidents here and there but always wees in his box. :D

ok, all i did was buy a really large cat litter tray and line it with newspaper and fill with fresh hay. The rabbits decided to use it of their own accord! You can put some droppings in to encourage them. Put it in a corner where the rabbit has already been using as a toilet as they like to choose their own spot!
I would then just line the rest of the hutch or cage with newspaper. If you put hay or straw anywhere else they will just get confused.

Hi Estelle,

I have a hutch with a run at the bottom of it. I have noticed they like to poop in the bedroom area and in one of the corners of the run.

I put straw in the hutches little bedroom area for sleeping in but you have said they 'll get confused about where to do the toilet if I do this, which I can understand. So do I use somethin else as bedding or should I put a litter tray in the sleeping area as well?

KMD

Back