• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit medicines thread

Fayeloicia

Warren Scout
Is it possible to have a 'Rabbit Medicines' thread in the care section?

I've just posted in Rabbit Chat about Panacur, and explained I didn't know what it was for or what it treated until the vet told me - if the vet hadn't told me then my buns would be at risk!

So is it possible to have this thread? I would like to know what 'medicine' treats for, but I suppose the downside for that is that people could wrongly diagnose their pet and administer the wrong drug.

Maybe not listing everything, but for regular treatments, like Panacur for E. Cuniculi.

I just don't want to have to use the blank wide eye stare when the vet mentions a foreign word to me again!

Hmmm not sure!! :?

The one which Faye has done is good about the metcam, is that prescription?

Yes, it is :)

Apart from Infacol (Simethicone) for gassy tums, Panacur (a wormer),
Fibreplex (a pre/probiotic paste with added fibre) I cant think of any non-prescription meds.

If you wanted a list of meds your Vet may prescribe and what they are then here are a few

Antibiotics:
Baytil (Enrofloxacin)
Septrin (Co-Trimoxazole)
Oxytetracycline
Metronidazole
Cephalexin (best given via injection to minimise risk of gut dybiosis)
Depocillin (MUST ONLY BE GIVEN BY INJECTION)

Analgesia:
Metacam (Meloxicam) -Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Analgesic
Rimadyl (Carprofen) -NSAID-my Vet does not use this drug on Rabbits due to the high risk of liver toxicity
Ketoprofen-NSAID
Torbugesic/Vetergesic-Opiate analgesics

Gut Motility Stimulants:
Metoclopromide
Prepulsid (Vet needs to apply for a 'named Rabbit Licence' to obtain Prepulsid as it was withdrawn for use in HUMANS due to adverse reactions)

Anti- Gastric Ulcer Meds:
Zantac (Ranitidine)
Tagamet (Cimetidine)
Zoton (Omeprazole)

Anti GI Ulcer meds may be used for Rabbits who have been anorexic for several days or for those on longterm NSAIDs

Topical Antibiotics :
Fucithalmic - for eye infections
Tiacil- for eye infections and can be used as part of treatment regime in jaw abscesses, the Tiacil is put directly into the abscess cavity
Maxitrol- An antibiotic/steroidal eye preparation
Fuciderm- For topical use on some skin infections.
Flamazine- an abx cream useful for treating Ulcerative Pododermatitis ( sore hocks)

Steroids :
Nandralone- Anabolic Steroid -may be used as part of treatment regime for a Bun in chronic renal failure

Dexamethasone-Corticosteroid- may be used as a fast acting anti-inflammatory BUT Corticosteroids should be used with EXTREME CAUTION in Rabbits.

There are relatively few Veterinary Medications that are licenced for use in Rabbits. This does not imply they are unsafe, just that the drug companies have not run trials on the use of their drug in Rabbits. Not 'financially viable' apparently..........:evil: :cry:

There are loads more drugs your Vet may prescribe but the above is a basic guideline

Janex :)

Back