• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Territorial rabbits and a newcomer

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
I have two pairs of rabbits that fight within their pairs if they even glimpse the other pair, so when one pair are out in the garden the other pair's run has to be screened off.
I'm thinking of having another bun, a female who isn't yet neutered and is around 1.5 yrs old.
Do you think bringing an unneutered bun into the garden (separate shed and run from the other pairs!) would increase the in-fighting within the pairs because they could smell her (I'd screen her run from the others also), and should I get her neutered before I bring her home, or do you think the neutering issue won't make any difference to how my existing buns behave???
Any advice appreciated, particularly from those who have multiple buns that do this "transferred aggression" thing.
Thanks!

I have two pairs of rabbits and have the same problem you do. I have to make sure they can't see each other while one pair has run of the garden.
When I fostered Tia for Honeybunnies i let her run round the garden. She had not been spayed at that point. To be honest it didn't cause any problems as she was not interested in the other rabbits at all, she was too busy running round and eating grass. The other rabbits didn't seem affected when they were out in the garden afterwards.

Thanks for that.
It's quite frustrating to see loads of pairs living alongside each other in rescues when your own 2 pairs don't get along:( .
The thing I find even stranger is that the rabbits don't mind the dogs strolling in and out of their sheds, but if it was another rabbit all hell would break loose!!!:lol: :lol:

Are your two pairs of rabbits neutured/spayed already? If some or even one other rabbit is not and the others are, these does cause fights. Rabbits are unbelievably territorial - and smelling a newcomer can make loved-up pairs fight as they can't fight the newcomer they transfer their anger to their partner :(

Jrn1310 is great with bonding - pm her and get some advice. She really helped me. Good luck xx

Mine too...they even seem to go looking to cause trouble by getting behind the tarpaulins to taunt each other, then they turn into :evil: which was a real shock to me as in their pairs they are all like :angel:

Back