• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with indoor rabbits

daisylou

Warren Scout
Hi I recently bought one of the huge rabbit cages from zooplus which is great but obviously I need to let them out as well. I have tied together the squares of wire from the argos storage cube but Bluebelle picks them up in her mouth and crashes them on the floor causing huge noise. I have also tried small willow fencing but she ate through it and was then able to find all the wires in the living wire. Can anyone suggest anything else I can try? Neither of them jump over things so I only need something about a foot high. I was thinking of this

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/33224

or can anyone come up with any other ideas?

Have you looked at something like this http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/donate/rabbitrun.asp Whilst you may say that you only need something 12 inches tall, please do consider getting something taller as many rabbits who dont normally jump will still manage on the odd occassion to get over even a 30 inch barrier.

They do sell ones like this on ebay as well, I am not sure about bunny basics if they sell them. There are also http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Rabbit_Runs.html 62452 GALVANIZED ENCLOSURE WITH TOP FOR RODENTS 216x116x65 cm
INSTORE PRICE £57.10

Have you looked at the PWS runs? They come in panels which you link together & are very sturdy & are also quite a bit bigger.
I`ve got one for Dooley & he loves it:D
Also they`re only £45 & 7.5% goes to rabbit rescue.:thumb:

I know they`re quite a bit higher than what you said you need but i think they`re fab!
Here`s the link if you want to take a look: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/donate/rabbitrun.asp

Su.x

Edit: great minds think alike Janice!:D

as many rabbits who dont normally jump will still manage on the odd occassion to get over even a 30 inch barrier.

You better be kidding? Have you seen it? 20 inch no problem, but 30 in? Would that be a giant rabbit or does small/medium rabbit jump higher?

You better be kidding? Have you seen it? 20 inch no problem, but 30 in? Would that be a giant rabbit or does small/medium rabbit jump higher?

I have small buns that can jump 4 foot 6, & I've had baby buns scale the size of a 3ft partition & a chest-high two tier hutch. My french lop X jumps them like a hurdler & my rex can jump floor to back of the settee!:shock:

Bif can jump a 2 ft height..but i bet she could jump higher if she had to..bertie our frenchie can jump onto the setttee just..he has doggy steps to get down with and make sout he so old at 27 months old!

willow our young frenchie has proved buns can jump..she got out of her playepn..those runs you se..and didnt even hurt herself..or the run..hence now the rottweiler cage is in use for her!! till shes spayed thursday cos of her attacking bif.

never under estimate a bunny..our old dwarf lop used to fly where she jumped so high..she was like a bloomin flying squirell!! shed jump from the top of the back of the big bed settee and land in the lounge doowray right across the other side of the room and then run and jump back up too..never ever lost her footing!!
she also used to jump onot a chair and leap onot the windowsill to sunbathe with the cats ..it was o scary to see!
buns dont have big back feet and legs for nothing my dad used to say..he was right!!

Not kidding at all, it was a fairly small rabbit who was just under 9 months old. I certainly saw it, I was pairing up 2 pairs of rabbits at the time who were about 4 metres apart in separate pens. I went from having 2 rabbits in two separate pens to having 3 in one pen and the other all alone. The bun that jumped cleared the barrier and landed in the next pen :shock: that is why I would never assume that bunnies cannot jump very high and far

I think I posted pics of Pierre jumping onto my filing cabinet - that is 36" (3ft high) - he is a standard size. The only reason he never quite made it up was it was slippery. He has also jumped onto a computer chair that was set very high.

The rescue I got him from said they had to rescue one bun from behind a 4ft steel partition - completely smooth and slippery so the rabbit didn't climb it but must have jumped over it, or at least high enough for their front feet to get purchase :shock: .

Cosmos used to easily clear 24" when I had him (standard rex).

In fact Zeus the giant couldn't jump as high as the smaller ones, he tended to use his height to stretch up first before springing, Pierre jumps from a crouch.

Caz

Back