• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rennie rapiz* UPDATE *We have munch off!*and POOPS!

Isabel

Warren Veteran
I noticed in an earlier threaf about infacol that someone (sorry can't remember who) uses rennie rapiza instead of infacol.

Barney is not eating or pooping. I've given him about 2ml of pinapple juice. 1ml of tomatoe juice and I've just managed to get about 1ml of infacol down. Are rennies really ok to give them? because Barney hates being picked up and consequently its a struggle and stressful for him to be syringed.

Last edited:
I noticed in an earlier threaf about infacol that someone (sorry can't remember who) uses rennie rapiza instead of infacol.

Barney is not eating or pooping. I've given him about 2ml of pinapple juice. 1ml of tomatoe juice and I've just managed to get about 1ml of infacol down. Are rennies really ok to give them? because Barney hates being picked up and consequently its a struggle and stressful for him to be syringed.

I would not recommend Rennie Rapeeze and neither does my Vet. If Barney is not eating or pooing it is essential he is seen by a Vet today. He may well need a gut motility stimulant and pain relief. I really dont think giving him Tomato Juice aswell as Pineapple Juice and Infacol is agood idea. If his guts have shut down everything will just sit and ferment in his tummy possibly causing bloat. The Infacol on its own would be OK though.
I strongly urge you to get Barney to a Vet ASAP

Janex

It's me that uses fruity Rennies instead of infacol - I can't syringe my bunnies so it's a good substitute and does a similar job to infacol (deals with gas bubbles). I use this remedy if a rabbit's looking a bit uncomfortable, just to nip the problem in the bud before it gets worse.

However if your rabbit's not eating or pooping he needs urgent vet care as he will probably be in pain - make sure he's given a painkiller by the vet.

The trouble with giving gut motility drugs is they can burst the guts if there's a blockage. Sometimes a blockage will work its way through and they will be OK, but they need to have plenty of fluids, and bromelain from fresh (only fresh, not tinned) pineapple juice, or tablets, sold by Holland and Barrett, helps to let the water soak into the blockage. I assume he's been moulting?

I would not recommend Rennie Rapeeze and neither does my Vet. If Barney is not eating or pooing it is essential he is seen by a Vet today. He may well need a gut motility stimulant and pain relief. I really dont think giving him Tomato Juice aswell as Pineapple Juice and Infacol is agood idea. If his guts have shut down everything will just sit and ferment in his tummy possibly causing bloat. The Infacol on its own would be OK though.
I strongly urge you to get Barney to a Vet ASAP

Janex

Oh **** thats what I've been recommended to do before. Thanks Jane.

Edit: I mean the tomatoe and pinaple.

Last edited:
Just got back from the emergency vets. Gut stassis as I thought. Gave painkiller and gut stimulant.

Just got back from the emergency vets. Gut stassis as I thought. Gave painkiller and gut stimulant.

Well done for getting him to the Vets. Try tempting him to eat with finely sliced veg or some dandelion leaves. If he has not eaten within the next couple of hours you will need to syringe feed him. About 5ml to start with and another 1ml Infacol. Gentle abdominal massage will help too.
Repeat the 5ml feed after an hour and try to encourage Barney to hop about. Movement will help get his guts going.
Please keep us posted

Janex

No improvement.
Have done one round as you seuggested Jane...apart from the tunny rubs as he'd had enough of me by then. It's almost time for his second lot. He still hasn't eaten or poo'd :(

No improvement.
Have done one round as you seuggested Jane...apart from the tunny rubs as he'd had enough of me by then. It's almost time for his second lot. He still hasn't eaten or poo'd :(

How does he seem within himself? Bright and alert or depressed?
If he feels abnormally cold to touch he would benefit from a heat pad of some sort. Bunnies in pain cant maintain their body temperature.

Janex

It often takes a while for the drugs to work, and he may need to go back for more.
Bobby was quite poorly last year. He'd stopped eating, so tried infacol and tummy rubs, and it hadn't worked, so off to the vet pronto. He had 3 lots of metoclopramide over 2 days, and then liquid parafin, which cleared the problem.
Over the two days, I syringe fed food, he managed to nibble a few bits, and I just made sure he had plenty of fluid.
I was frantic. Much how you must be feeling at the moment. However, I was advised that these things can sometimes take a while to sort.
Good luck with him.
p.s. Barney, be a good boy, and eat for your mum.

Thanks everyone. He's still not picking up. He's not really moved unless I've been harrasing hi. I hate syringe feeding him it uposets him so much. I've put them both to bed now. I'm hoing roxy will keep him warm, they ususally cuddle up when they are in the crate.

Jane, the only way I can describe him really is blue. He occasionally seems to have a spot of energy and has a look around but soon lies down again.
He does feel cold. I've just had him wraped in a towel for his latest round of torture and Roxy is now looking after him.

I hope he perks up over night :(

He seems to have picked up a bit in the last half hour. There has been a tiny bit of hau nibbling action but nothing to really write home about. Still no poops though.
He seems a bit brighter in himself.

If he's started to nibble a bit then it will help his gut to move along. Sending soothing vibes to you isabel and big healing one to Barney

Please do update us, I really hope he is more perky and is taking the syringe feeding better. Hopefully he will have started nibbling before too long and things will have started moving before too long.

he seems worse this morning. He's still cold and it seems like he's been huddled where I left him last night on the litter tray...I expect because it's full of hay to keep him warm. I put a carrier in with a towel but he didn't seem interested.

I don't know as yet whether he has done any poos. There are some small dark ones which are similar to the ones he had last time but I think they are Roxys as she was very stressed yesturday about it all.

I have tried to feed him again this morning and managed ml. I also tried tummy rubs but he's so upset he just started scratching and biting the towel he was on.

I was going to try to wait till midday for his pain killer but I think I might give it to him in an hour when he's calmed down again.

If he doesn't show any sign of improvement in the next couple of hours then I'll take him to the emergency vet again. I hate them, he hates them and they are not great but hopefully an average vet is better than no vet.

I really though I was going to have lot him this morning...he seems pale, if that makes sense. Any advice, greatfully received.

xxx

p.s, I dn't have a snugglesafe and couldn't get one by the time I realised I needed one last night. As it was ovvernight I did not want them to have a hot water bottle because I don't know how they would react to it. Needless to say I am going to try to get a snugglesafe later.

Last edited:
If he's started to nibble a bit then it will help his gut to move along. Sending soothing vibes to you isabel and big healing one to Barney

I'm not sure if he was nibbling the hay last night or just biting it out of anger. Poor little boy. I hope he forgives me.

Back