• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benny Isn't Good :-(

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
I've just picked Benny up from the vets after he went in for a head x-ray, dental and tear duct flush. After years of runny eyes, they have found that one of his tooth roots is growing so far up that its actually blocking off his tear duct. They have said the prognosis isn't great as there isn't anything they can do. I just have to keep an eye on him eating and generally being happy.

http://forum.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92495

Benny is very sleepy still and I have both him and Betty in the indoor hutch with a snuggle safe to keep him warm. I have tried to tempt him with all his favourite foods but he isn't interested at all and just looks really miserable.

I have Science Recovery to give him if he doesn't eat within a few hours once hes woken up a bit more. Is there anything else I can do to help him feel a bit better?

Thanks in advance.

Gemma xx

Awwwww poor Benny :cry:
Before you start the Recovery feeds try syringing a bit of water into him. Water will help flush the GA out of his system. Keeping him nice and warm will help too. I hope he starts to perk up soon

Janex

Really sorry to hear about Benny, Gemma. What did the Vet say about managing his condition? Is it a case of keeping up with the eye drops? Sending hugs to Benny. Claire x

Thanks everyone for your get well vibes for Benny. :wave: He seems to be waking up a bit more. I have syringed him some water to flush out the GA as advised by Jane but he still hasn't eaten anything. I think its because hes sleepy rather than anything else though. I've given him some syringe feed which he took well and groomed all the messy bits from his chin afterwards.

I've settled him down for the night now, they're in the hallway where I can hear whats happening.

Unfortunately, they can't take the tooth out because its grown so far into his skull. I honestly couldn't believe the x-ray when I saw it. The tooth was about twice the length of his normal teeth and the lower teeth were so low down that they have made his actual jaw bone lumpy. :(

Please send as many vibes as you can to get him eating through the night.

Gemma xx

These bunnies like to give us a run for our money dont they!?

Benny had a nibble of one piece of hay and a dandy leaf last night and I gave him loads of fluids and a couple of goes of syringe feed.

This morning both his eyes were glued shut with pus, so I gave them a clean again and put his cream in. I also don't think he'd eaten anything as he still seemed very sleepy, so I called the vets to see if I could pop him back in to see them.

Anyway, I got off the phone and I think Benny man had been listening to me...he was eating a massive piece of Kale and since then hes eaten a few more strands of hay, a few dandy leaves and a leaf of mint! I've been keeping an eye on his poo and although its absolutely tiny, his guts are still moving. We have an appointment this afternoon, but if he continues to pick up today I won't take him and will just keep an eye on him.

I am still very worried about his eyes though, both seem to be glued up with thick creamy pus and as soon as I clean them, they look just as bad. :cry:

I really could do with knowing how long I should leave this to go on for as it doesn't seem to be getting any better. They did manage th flush his right tear duct, but only managed to get some pus back out of his left. Maybe this aggravated the infection somehow?

Gemma xx

Aww Gemma - I'm so sorry for the wee man. Sounds as though this infection has really got hold doesn't it. Is he still on his abx injections? I'm not sure what else you can do for him. What have the vets said about managing the condition?

Sending lots of hugs from me and my lot
xxxx

Hiya Kerry,

Sorry if you've been trying to text, I had no service in Welsh Wales and now I cant find my charger!!

I'm giving him oxytet injections every two days and hes still on Fucithalmic. Poor man is lookigng really miserable and his eyes are just shut all the time. It must be painful for him as well, but I'll give him some Metacam tonight now hes eaten a tiny bit.

Benny sends hugs back to your bunny bunch...how is Sooty settling in?

Gemma xx

Hi Gemma! When I was reading about Dana Krempals' advice regarding persistent eye infections, she mentioned that Marbofloxacin is very good for treating stubborn eye infections. In fact, I'm picking some Fluoroquin eye drops up for Humphrey this afternoon from my Vet, as he spoke to an Opthalmologist at the Bristol Animal Clinic and they've recommended we try these. Obviously Humphrey's eye is nowhere near as bad as Benny's - his is only watering, but these drops have been recommended. Also, might be worth mentioning Marbofloxacin to your Vet and see what he thinks, at least. Just a thought.... hugs to Benny. Claire x

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the info. I'll speak to the vets about these...is Marboflaxin an injectable one and Fluoroquin drops?

Benny seems to be more awake now and has eaten a big pile of Kale. I've also seen him eat a few more strands of his favourite Brome hay, so he seems to be much better now. His right eye is open all the time now and seems to be producing less pus. His left eye looks pretty manky still though and is closed all the time. :cry:

Will keep you posted...fingers crossed these new antibiotics work for Humph too!

Gemma xx

Thanks Gemma! As I said, Humph's is just watering (we're not even convinced it's not dust allergy, but the Vet seems to think resistant infection) so it's no way as bad as poor Benny. The marbofloxacin is a fluorequoline (sp?) antibiotic, apparently, and can be in tablet form. Obviously, I'm just passing on what I read, so see what your Vet thinks - apparently it can be known as Zenequin (sp?). The eye drops I'm picking up for Humph this afternoon are known as Fluoroquin Eye Drops (not sure of the brand name) but, as I say, the Bristol Small Animal Clinic recommended them to my Vet for us to try next. Might be worth just mentioning it to your Vet. My Vet had to order them in specially for me and I know they were recommended over Fucithalmic for Humph's particular problem. Good Luck - please let us know what happens at the Vets today. Fingers crossed for Benny - it's good he's starting to eat, bless him. Claire x

Back