• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decision time -advice please

lisa82

Mama Doe
I thought I'd start a new thread as the other one was rather long and time consuming:lol:
I think my rabbits post spay fighting may actually be bullying- as last night Elsie appeared to be cowering in the corner when normally its about 50/50. After temporary separation (in same cage) they both seem happy although I've noticed Elsie is a bit jumpy when Jess is being active.

Should I get a complete new cage for Elsie -I'm scared Jess will break through the barrier and attack Elsie.

This is probably a bit advanced but do you think they may be better as single house bunnies- they are still loving attention from humans just not each other!!

Thanks for reading this novel :)

Am I right in remembering that the spays weren't long ago? If so it can take several weeks for the hormones to calm down. However it is possible that they will never like each other, it does happen.

Do you have the space for two seperate living areas cos that's what you'll need to have two house buns. Could the most likely candidate to bond with another rabbit go outside and be found a husbun?

You're right the spays were on Wednesday but I feel things have got worse.
No it's not practical for me to have 2 house bunnies however my parents and brother are my bunny sitters and they adore them and we're discussing them fostering one either temporarily until we move or permanent if they want. They only live round the corner so I'd still see her loads anyway.

I'm too scared to put either in the garden at the mo as there are so many foxes and badgers around. However I would consider in the future getting them husbuns if being a single housebunny doesn't seem right for them.
Does this sound reasonable?

How many weeks do the hormone levels stay high for?

Thanks for the quick reply x

As the spaying is not so long ago, there is a chance they will be friends again.
I would separate them in two different room, that they do not see or mell or hear each other. After two or three weeks, you can start a new bounding in a neutral area.
It would be sad if they have to live separate for the rest of their lives.
Another trick is to bond them with a neutered male - he will arbitrate in a dispute between the ladies.

Not much to add, other than that my 2 bunnies' hormones came down gradually over quite some time which was noticeable by their behaviour. Not sure of the scientific answer, but for me I would say about 8 weeks.

Thanks again for the reply, looks like the general answer is yes to getting a separate cage. So if I put them in different areas so they can't smell or see each other, would that mean if I try again they would not recognise each other and it would be like bonding 2 new rabbits from scratch??

Is 2-3 weeks how long it takes for the hormones to be sorted?? x

Hi SarahP I read your post after I'd already replied.:roll:

Were yours 2 girls too? Did you separate them for the 8 weeks?

Thanks xx

If it were me I'd seperate them completely, the best/cheapest thing to buy is probably a dog crate off ebay and keep them out of sight and smell of each other. My bun Pippa only took about 3 weeks for her hormones to settle for bonding with MJ, it was noticeable in her behaviour, less stamping and territorial behaviour etc. When you are certain that they have calmed down try bonding them again - if you're unsure then maybe someone local to you/or a rescue could help. I think you're expecting too much too soon although there is a chance they never will be friends I'd give them one more chance but let them settle down first - at the end of the day they've had a hysterectomy which is a major operation and they need time to recover.

Thanks SO much I shall do that, it's just at 2am when you're trying to separate 2 stressy rabbits the whole situation seems so awful.

I shall completely separate and consider rebonding when they've had time to chill. However I don't think I can wait for ebay as I don't think I can cope with thinking every noise is them fighting through the barrier:roll:

You have all been so helpful x

Back