• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis - anything else we can do?

Hawarden

Warren Scout
Quick background to this:

Last Saturday we rehomed/resuced a 11 week old male with a view to bonding with our newly bereathed 2 year old female (Anastasia). The 2 rabbits clearly 'hit it off', and although Anastasia was territorial after a day of 'gentle' introductions (a series of 10 minutes sessions together) they seemed to be bonding ok. However as the male (Rhys) isn't neutered we can't keep them together unsupervised for much longer, so to play safe the 2 rabbits are now apart in seperate hutches.

Rhys appeared to not be eating on Tuesday, so to play safe we took him to the vets for a check up on yesterday, and they confirmed he had GI Stasis.:(

We are now on an intensive care routine involving:
Fibreplex 3 times a day (1ml syringed into the side of his mouth)
Syringing baby Food (carrot and potato!) 3 times a day
Syringing water - as much as we can

Our Vet has given him an injection to help get his GI moving, which lasts for 3 days, repeat dose on Friday. (can't remember the name)

This is all traumatic stuff and we can't help feeling that this intensive care is adding to the stress, stress which probably caused the problem in the first place! :(

Anything else we can do?

What's happening with Rhys at the moment though? Is he eating anything on his own? And, more importantly, is he pooing? If nothing is coming out, that is an even bigger problem than little food going in. I've found that a tummy rub helps stimulate the poos.

The thing that I have found most helpful in GI stasis is pain relief. It could be that pain elsewhere in the body is causing the problem, but in cany case, he would have a nasty painful tummy, which is never going to encourage it to work.

so, in short, if you don't have any poos or food going in (other than what you've syringed), I think you need to get him back to the vets, to be honest.

P.S. a tempting food is dandelion leaves, if you can find any to try.

The thing that I have found most helpful in GI stasis is pain relief.

Anything you would recommend? I presume the vet would have to prescribe this, or can you get something 'over the counter'?

Thanks for the advice.

Fortunately, I havent had to try this yet, but now have this medicine in my first aide kit now, after I lost my bunny in February:

C. Cholestyramine (Questran):
a prescription drug for inflamed intestine that gets rid of toxins and buys time while gut motility medications work to get the intestine moving again.
The advise on giving this drug is from Dana Kempels article on stasis, which gives more info: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

If you want to try it you have to ask your vet for a prescription(I had to fax him the article as well) and you have to fill it at a regular pharmacy.
I hope your baby gets better soon xx

edit: I took out Dana Kempels direct quote from her stasis article regarding questran. I read she does not want direct quotes, but instead links to her articles because they are always updating as new information is available

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've had quite a lot of experience with GI stasis and the most important things are:

Pain relief - I used Metacam prescribed by the vet
Gut motility drug - Metaclopromide gets the gut moving again
Hydration - make sure your bun is drinking plenty of water to stop food impacting in the gut
High Fibre Supportive feed - Science Recovery or Critical Care.

I would avoid feeding your bun with any baby food with potato in as this can cause more harm in his gut. He needs a high fibre liquid feed or similar to help return his guts to normal. The fibreplex will have fibre and probiotics but you really need to supplement this with a good high fibre recovery feed instead of the baby food.

Fingers crossed he recovers quickly, but if he continues to go downhill I would go back to your vet.

Gemma xx

Hi there,

I've had quite a lot of experience with GI stasis and the most important things are:

Pain relief - I used Metacam prescribed by the vet
Gut motility drug - Metaclopromide gets the gut moving again
Hydration - make sure your bun is drinking plenty of water to stop food impacting in the gut
High Fibre Supportive feed - Science Recovery or Critical Care.

I would avoid feeding your bun with any baby food with potato in as this can cause more harm in his gut. He needs a high fibre liquid feed or similar to help return his guts to normal. The fibreplex will have fibre and probiotics but you really need to supplement this with a good high fibre recovery feed instead of the baby food.

Fingers crossed he recovers quickly, but if he continues to go downhill I would go back to your vet.

Gemma xx

I agree with Gemma. The baby food may exacerbate his GI problem so I would try to obtain some Critical Care (made by Oxbow, not Vetark) or Science Recovery.
I am unaware of a gut motility drug that lasts for 3 days :? Most Vets use Metoclopromide or Cisapride and these need to be administered every 6- 8 hours.
Pain relief is also important and needs to be given by injection as if given orally it may not be absorbed if the guts are not functioning efficiently.
Fluids are essential and Rhys may need these to be given sub-cutaneously.
All in all I would take him back to the Vets today as it sounds as though he may need more treatment.
Poor baby bun :cry: I hope he feels better soon

Janex

I agree with Jane, gut motility drugs need to be given at least everyday, if not more often. Pain relief is also essential.

This sounds very much like what happened with my rabbit Floss, she was a rescue and the stress of everything triggered GI Stasis, sadly she died.

Hopefully, you will have a better outcome. Keep him moving around if you can, it helps to keep their tummy moving, carrot tops are always a winner with my two when they're poorly. Is he an indoor bunny or outdoor? I find that it is easier to nurse them indoors.

I would take him to the vets and demand more pain relief and gut motility drugs. Also, ask for some recovery formula.

Good luck

FC

Back