• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ferret in my Garden Today????

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Hello, there was a loose ferret in my garden with the buns this morning! Panic stations. It was so tame though it got straight in the cat carrier. It didn't look as though it had harmed the bunnies, more curious, but I wouldn't trust it, aren't rabbits their prey? Anyway the RSPCA are coming for it now. Poor little mite, but I can't keep it it stinks and would be too worrying with the buns! Has this happened to anyone else?

:shock: :shock: That must have been a shock!

At least it was tame and got into a carrier ok, I think they do hunt rabbits?
I'm sure the RSPCA will take care of it, all the some I have met smelt really bad!

Never had one before, although I have held one and it didn't smell to nice, you were very lucky with your buns.
Sallyx

I was lucky wasn't I. Luckily when they are out they are always monitored as lounge looks out over garden. It is tiny and didn't look as though it knew what to do, but I wouldn't have taken the risk.

:roll: SORRY, gonna have a rant. I hate the stigma that is put on ferrets. Yep, uncastrated ferrets have that very musky smell to them, and yep when they are afraid they let off a musky stink ( like what a skunk would). They only do it to attract others, or to warn others off.

You did right in phoning the RSPCA, lets hope they actually rehome it.

Stray ferrets are very common at this time of year, probably due to their mating season and them being extrodinary escape artists! We get loads of strays in, we neuter them and then give them to RSPCA or Ferret Rescue. They do have an aquired smell, but actually neutering and not feeding them cat food helps a great deal.
They would attack rabbits I think if they got near them, they are quite predatory and think nothing of attacking something bigger. When my sister was younger, her friends brother and neighbour kept them for rabbiting and he used to feed them live chickens, she said it was horrendous to see and they polish off everything!:shock:

oh god! Eating live chickens???? My uni friend used to keep ferrets, they are a bit stinky but you get used to it quite quickly. I couldn't keep them as they're like snakes with legs lol, they're such escape artists!

looooooooooooooool it stinks :lol: :lol: :lol:

awww well done for saving the lil soul hopefully their owners will come forward :)

I absolutley love ferrets. my aunty had 5 at one point.

Im not too sure if they would harm the bunnies... I know we used to feed the ferrets cat food though so they do eat meat :rolleyes:

Ferrets do stink - I am sorry - I have 3 of them - the uncastrated male really honks - he is called Whiff - Stinky is castrated and Pongo speyed and they all smell.

My female has escaped 4 times in a week - and for the life of me I can't see how - and she has been done .... still the urges are there.

Incidentally my 3 are up for rehoming if anyone is interested - I live in Gloucester. They came to me 2 years ago as a temporary holding station ... but I never got them rehomed, and now I feel guilty as they need more time and attention than I can give them.

They don't bite and are extremely friendly - and of course they don't smell :lol:

Jules

Back