• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping wild bunnies!!!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hello

As I now only have the 2 wild bunnies now I have decided to keep them :D

I have had them since they were about 4 days old and they will be 5 weeks old on saturday. They currently seem extremely tame enjoying life as house bunnies but will eventually have to go outside as I have 2 cats.

They are very friendly, sit on me for ages licking me including around the ear area :roll:

I would love to hear from anyone who has raised a wild bunny before and that can give me some advice re feeding, housing etc and any problems that might arise them being wild. The rabbit welfare advised me that I was ok keeping them as long as they had plently of space.

Thanks in advance!
Suzanne

the only thing they need different to a domestic bunnies is more space, they can have the same diet and everything else as a domestic bun but usually have far more energy and like to be in open spaces.

yes they are going to have a nice long run with part of it opening up to an area which hopefully is going to be quite high so they don't feel like they are cooped in. plus hopefully tall enough for me to get in with them!!!

Glad to hear you're keeping them!

They just need a bit more space then domestic bunnies. 'The Problem with Rabbits' by Pat Rees has some really good advice on keeping wild bunnies (and any bunnies in general), you can get a copy from the RWA or I'm sure Amazon do it.

My two live in a playhouse, which has got plenty of space and is big enough to get in with them (if you're short like I am). It also cost a lot less then a hutch with not as much floor space. I'll have to try to get a picture of my set up so you can see what it's like.

Back