• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent- please help Mel

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Melaniejb contacted me on facebook to say this:

I can't get onto the forum. Why does this have to happen in times of crises??

Albert stole half a toblerone last night and ate it all including the wrapper. He wouldn't eat this morning and is like a solid balloon. i rushed him to the vets where he is having fluids/xray/possible op. Just wanted to hear from anyone else...anyone know what will happen to him? What about Poppy as she wasn't allowed to stay because of the drip (chewing wires)? If he's away for a couple of days will they need re-bonding? What will happen to Albert????

Help...anyone??? how I wish Jane was on facebook.

Melanie.x

Obviously at the vets but can anyone offer any advice?

Today I would allow the vets to be able to work to sort out Albert, however as soon as he has started improving and the drip is down I would again ask about allowing Poppy to be with him, he will probably be more in need of her then as soon as he starts improving. I can appreciate the vets being wary of Poppy nibbling at the IV line.

Give Poppy lots of fuss and attention in the meanwhile.

Oh no!! Im sure they wont become too unbonded. I kept our doe seperate for a few days after her op.

Sending lots of good vibes

*argh* Im not a take that fan and those arent my buns :oops: Think there may have been a few glitches with the forum changeover

Oh no Mel :cry:

Hopefully he has not actually obstructed and the bloat will respond to intensive treatment which your Vet is obviously giving
It is critical to keep fluids going in and the IV Line is the best way in cases of bloat.
Hopefully your Vet will also be giving Albert analgesia and, if no obstruction ,some metoclopromide. Simethicone (Infacol) may also be given along with some Fibreplex (Pr/Prebiotic +fibre)

The 'hard stomach' may be a result of all the sugar in the chocolate causing excessive gas production. The bloat may NOT be due to obstruction.

Try to just focus on getting through this critical stage and think about the possible rebonding later. Please keep us updated about Albert

Janex

Mel's been in touch with me on Facebook too!

If your back on hope that Albert is doing a bit better now xxx

Thank you soooooo much for your replies although I could not read them, I'm sure your positive healing vibes have helped my Albie.

I've spoken to the vet nurse but am still waiting to hear from the vet but the nurse said that his tummy had started to soften before they went to the animal hospital place. He's pooing and eating independently but is going to stay on a fluid drip thingy over night where they can keep an eye on him. He's jumping and thumping though so he must be feeling better!

Will let you know when I hear more! Thank you again for your replies and THANK YOU to everyone who replied on facebook especially Mandy!

Jane - I DEMAND that you get a facebook account!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

How scary...what a little tinker. So glad to hear he is improving :lol:

Tell me about it! Do you think he will have learnt his lesson not to jump on tables to steal chocolate??? I doubt it!

The vet called me last night and left a message on my voicemail saying that the xrays had shown that he had quite a lot of gas in his intestines so they were giving him plenty of drugs to keep him moving and comfortable. He was eating like a crazed creature aparently (that's totally normal for him - hence the toblerone!) and doing lots of poos! Never thought I'd get this excited about poo!!

I'll let you know what the vet says when she calls me with an update this morning!

Tell me about it! Do you think he will have learnt his lesson not to jump on tables to steal chocolate??? I doubt it!

The vet called me last night and left a message on my voicemail saying that the xrays had shown that he had quite a lot of gas in his intestines so they were giving him plenty of drugs to keep him moving and comfortable. He was eating like a crazed creature aparently (that's totally normal for him - hence the toblerone!) and doing lots of poos! Never thought I'd get this excited about poo!!

I'll let you know what the vet says when she calls me with an update this morning!

Sounds as though Albert is well on the mend :D
Dont suppose he left me a bit of Toblerone did he :?

Norty Albert :no: :roll: :lol:

Janex

Back