• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt?

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
as yous all know Honey seems to be suffering from breathing problems and today when she was out for exercise i noticed when shes standing still her head falls to the side :shock: :? i checked her ears and i cant see any signs of ear mites and the only other thing i can think of is a brain problem :cry: is there anything else that causes a head tilt? this is worrying :? shes really scaring me at the moment :( and i cant get her to the vets until tomorrow and im away on Holiday on Wedensday i really dont want to leave her if shes ill :(

Head tilt can be an indication of various problems, 2 possibilities are EC or an inner ear infection ( you wouldn`t necessarily be able to see this by just looking in her ears ).
Either of these would prompt require veterinary treatment as they can affect the brain & may also cause pain.

There may well be other reasons but these are the 2 that instantly spring to my mind.
i would definately get her to the vets.

Good luck,
Su.x

Is Honey on treatment for her breathing problems?

Causes of head tilt include middle ear infection and EC.
If Honey is not currently on antibiotics she needs to be seen by a Vet TONIGHT. If she is on antibiotics she may also need anti-inflammatories and if EC is suspected, Panacur. I really think you need to contact a Vet tonight.
Please keep us posted

Janex

thanks for your replies Honey has just finished a course of Baytril for her breathing. im going to ring the vets now as i know they have an emergancy service but they charge £100 for emergancy appointments but it will all be worth it and at least it will make me feel a little calmer as im abit panicky and the moment :shock: i will keep yous updated

Good luck at the vets.
Please keep us updated.

Sending loads of vibes for Crystal..................................

Su.x

the vets took her in over night to examine her properly shes going to call me tomorrow fingers crossed its nothing serious :shock: i bet i dont sleep a wink tonight :(

Crystal butterfly said:
the vets took her in over night to examine her properly shes going to call me tomorrow fingers crossed its nothing serious :shock: i bet i dont sleep a wink tonight :(

You have done the very best for Crystal by getting her in to the Vets. Lets now hope that some more treatment will get her well

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Crystal butterfly said:

You have done the very best for Crystal by getting her in to the Vets. Lets now hope that some more treatment will get her well

Janex

Ditto.

Thinking of you both,
Su.x

Crystal's in the best place. The best you can do is try to relax now, if you can. Will have everything crossed for her. x

thanks for all the vibes for Crystal but its Honey thats at the vets :lol: :p

after waiting for my phone call.... it never came :roll: so i rung the surgery myself and they explained that they had to put her under a GA (Genral Aneasthetic (sp)) as Honey was lunging at them and they couldnt get a proper look at her :shock: they said she has an ear infection and they'll disscuss her treatment this afternoon when i go to pick her up. so glad shes coming home :D Crystals missing her little friend!

thanks for all your replies they were all appreciated :D

Louise x

Crystal butterfly said:
thanks for all the vibes for Crystal but its Honey thats at the vets :lol: :p

after waiting for my phone call.... it never came :roll: so i rung the surgery myself and they explained that they had to put her under a GA (Genral Aneasthetic (sp)) as Honey was lunging at them and they couldnt get a proper look at her :shock: they said she has an ear infection and they'll disscuss her treatment this afternoon when i go to pick her up. so glad shes coming home :D Crystals missing her little friend!

thanks for all your replies they were all appreciated :D

Louise x

Ooooops! :oops:

Well all our vibes should keep Crystal healthy!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Here`s sending vibes for Honey..................................

Please keep us updated.

Su.x

just got back from the vets... yey Honeys home :D the vet has given me some antibiotics to give her i cant remember what you call them as its quite a hard word :shock: i cant even say never mind spell it haha shes got to stay on these for 4 weeks :shock: so im going to have to relie on my bf to do this when im on holiday :? :shock:

also when i was at the vets to pick honey up the vet asked me if i would like another 2 rabbits :shock: i asked why and she said that to certain circumstances a lovely couple are having to give up their gorgeous buns and their looking for the best home for them their both neutered and vaccinated and the vet thought she'd ask me because she thinks im a good decent rabbit owner (so chuffed she said that) i didnt give her an answer i just said id have a think about it and if the buns still havent got a home when i come back from my holiday il possibly take them on :? but what do yous think? if i take them on i wont be able to adopt a gorgeous bun for RR my fav bun being honeybunnys Spencer :(

Back